When moving or relocating

do you check out the religious demographics before you buy a house?

We are moving in a few months. I have looked for a neighborhood that has a high number of people practicing my religion. My family understands, but others don't. I don't see anything wrong with surrounding my children with others who share similar beliefs. Why is it so wrong I want to be with people who won't make fun of me ? People I feel comfortable around? Not to mention there is a church for me not too far away.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:58 PM on Jul. 19, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• There's nothing wrong with that at all! I mean if you were doing it because you didnt want to be around other faiths, thats a bit odd. But to do it to make sure you have a good support system, i see no problem with it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:01 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• I would at least make sure there was a good church there. I would even attend a few services there and make sure it could be a home church before I commit to moving there, LOL.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 12:12 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• My only concern is that Christians tend to be in our "holy huddle" we are not impacting our world much and we get so attached to our particular denomination that we aren't open to other ways. So I would check to see if there was a good church, be it my denomination or another.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 12:44 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Personally, I like religious diversity. I want my children exposed to the beliefs of others so that they will be more tolerant as adults. It will also help them when they are ready to choose their own religious path...how can they make an educated decision if they do not know what is out there?

My main focus when moving is always the crime rate, job availability and how good the schools are.

anetrnlov

Answer by anetrnlov at 6:59 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• i agree with anetrnlov, my main concerns are crime rate, jobs and schools...i also like religious diversity..its not like i could find an area with mainly my religion anyways lol.

necro1134

Answer by necro1134 at 9:30 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• No, never have but Ive not worried about it before really.
    I was always part of the majority until recently.

Now I might be a bit more concerned but unlikely to base where I move on it alone.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 11:34 AM on Jul. 20, 2009