Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

dental problems

hi my name is rachel, i live in louisiana. i am a single mom to three daughters, 23, 15, and 6. i am recently not working because i just had gallbladder surge. several years ago i was put on a narcotic pain killer for my back and after i found out one of the side effects were decaying of the teeth, i found out long after about it. well now all my teeth are decayed and broken, i do have medicaid but it pays for dentures but not for extractions, i stay with infection, i cant hardly eat anything, i have to eat like soup, icecream, shakes, all soft stuff because i cant chew. i cant find a dentist to help me. i went to my family dentist and he wants to charge me 700.00 dollars for the extractions and i cant afford it so i was wondering if anyone knew of any dentist that goes by ur income? any help would be greatly appreciated...THANK YOU....

Answer Question

Asked by rachel37 at 12:01 AM on Jul. 20, 2009 in Health

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (4)
  • Contact your local Social Services office. They should be able to tell you of a dentist that takes sliding scale payments.

    Answer by Cherrie522 at 12:03 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

  • Hi, Rachel! I'm sorry to hear your teeth are so bad off. My BIL was in a similar situation, and he isn't much older than you. Here's what I suggest!

    Visit www.LowCostBenefitsPlans.comClick where it says Locate a Provider and see who in your area does dental work. There should be a list within driving distance. IF there is, our plan can offer you great discounts - up to 80% off...  However the plan is $14.95 for a single ($19.95 for a household) and there is a $20 reg. fee. I don't want you to join a program that won't help you though. So, contact a dentist or two on there. Tell them what you need done and ask them what it would run (roughly) with and without our plan. I'm gonna guess you could save close to half if not more.


    Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:09 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

  • My DH needed some work done. Out of pocket they wanted to charge us just over $600. We only paid $243... So, that was a huge savings. And you can quit once your work is done, there is no contract or anything for the plan. Just keep it as long as you need it, and then you can cancel. If you have questions, let me know. Hopefully that could help!

    Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:09 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

  • Don't forget 1-800-dentist and you can access them online.

    Answer by Mamasita98 at 12:40 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.

Next question in Health
What would you think...???

Next question overall (Pregnancy)
could i..