Pagan Mamas-Do you have an animal totem/power animal?

If so, what is your animal totem? Or perhaps you have more than one?

Are there any totems that have briefly entered your life...especially during a difficult time?

One of my totems is the horse and has been from a very young age. Later in life crow entered my life too and has helped me a lot with having the courage to speak my truth. There have been times when hummingbird has showed up too. It's usually when I'm thinking a lot about my mom, who passed away over 10 years ago.

AnamCara1

Asked by AnamCara1 at 12:06 AM on Jul. 20, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• The Crow is one of my main totems. I have had a snake, and even a squirrel when I need to reserve my energy.

pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 12:20 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• I have Dragonfly which appears in my life alot, especially when my life is in turmoil...Dragonfly is associated with changes I read up a little on dragonfly and hummingbird. I'm stubborn though, so I don't always listen, which is why I think my life is so out of balance lately.
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 2:13 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• A Celtic dragon and a horse. I have pendants with the image of the dragon on it. I have loved horses since as far back as I can remember.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 10:08 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• The cat (both domestic & wild) has been an animal that could be described as a "totem" or "power animal" for me since I was a small child. As an adult I have studied the role of cats in mythology & it makes sense to me that I have always been connected to it.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 10:52 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• dont have to be pagan for this. i am native american. i do
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 10:59 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• how do you know your "totem"? I once had the coolest cat follow me around my neighborhood. It looked like a cross between a lynx & a domesticated cat because it was TALL! Long legs w/ weird spots on her belly, HOGE ears w/ a tuft of fur poking out of them, she had a golden/copper color. She had a collar, so i knew she belonged to someone in the neghborhood. But, she was SO mystical looking, & she always showed up at my door. I felt connected to her. Besides the fact that all cats, even evil ones like me do you think this could be a sign that my totem is a cat?
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 11:31 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Honestly, the snake comes into my life a ton!
    He's in my dreams at least monthly if not more sometimes.

When I read through totems tho a Gorilla really touches me, sounds like me.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 11:32 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• A friend of mine is able to see my animals. When we first met, I was a rabbit - jumpy, hiding, quick to bolt. Then I became a dolphin - free, liberated, joyous. It turned to a bear - slow to action, but fierce when provoked.

Now, he says I am a puma or a cougar. I read up on them and it seems appropriate. Pumas are watchful, silent, and aware. They seem lazy, but are quick when required. They can kill a full-grown wolf (his totem animal) one on one, but will back off if outnumbered.

A puma (like most cats) can turn inside its own skin, so it is hard to pin down.

While his animal and mine are natural enemies, they often hunt and play together in our dreams.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 11:40 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• samurai-chica, that cat does sound very cool. It could mean that your totem is the cat, especially if you feel very drawn to cats in general.

moki, sorry about that...you're right, you don't have to be Pagan to have a totem
    .

AnamCara1

Answer by AnamCara1 at 12:56 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• The Raven and the Fox are my two main ones. (in the celtic zodiac my daughter is a Fox too ironically). What is really neat, is that in Japanese mythology the two are basically interchangeable.
    Horses come and go, and Dragonflies are my reminder.
    Princessofscots

Answer by Princessofscots at 1:20 PM on Jul. 20, 2009