• In the Spotlight:

I'm having some problems and don't know what to do.

I started my period "early" 2 months ago and it hasn't gone away. I just turned 40 and thought maybe I was peri-menopausal. When the bleeding would subside, I would get this foul smelling discharge. I finally went to a doctor on July 3rd, (I don't have insurance and I had to pay cash). He gave me a shot, anti-biotics, an anti-fungal pill and these pills that made me pee orange. We thought it was a UTI. I felt better so to speak but I am still bleeding and again this leakage that isn't as smelly as before. I feel very sluggish and last Sunday I had a pain on my right side right next to my hipbone that only subsided when I would lay down and stretch my body writhing in pain. The next day it was gone. What do you think is wrong with me? I can't go see a doctor again until I save up at least $150.

Mamasita98

Asked by Mamasita98 at 12:07 AM on Jul. 20, 2009 in Health

• Hi. I'm sorry you're not feeling well and no insurance either. Can you get it tlhrough your state or county. I know Shop Rite in NJ has some stores with low low cost clinics- uninsured definitely go there and insurance too. Some hospitals should have lowcost clinics too for women's health. Maybe a church could offer you guidance and help you call places? Did the doctor test you for a urinary tract infection and also a vaginal infection? I'm way past menopause but I know some vaginal infections can really smell. Call different places for doctors care. Maybe even call a bigger hospital further away sometimes they have more cilnics for patients without insurance. Please write again how you're feeling. I hope you feel better soon. I bet your family's worried too. Prayers for better health mama!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:20 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Thanks Anon. I suppose I will have to see what help I can get. I really don't want to get an state aid. The nearest "free" hospital is downtown Los Angeles and there is a 12 hours wait! It's the type of hospital that well aside from the uninsured, the homeless go there also. I feel so alone with this. If I go I will have to go by myself.
    Mamasita98

Answer by Mamasita98 at 12:32 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Did the doc do any testing or offer any advice as to why you're bleeding longer than normal? That could make you sluggish and the terrible pain could be seriously, without sounding callous, just about anything from gas to an appendicitis though it clearly wasn't. You could have had gastroenteritis or however you spell that. Anytime you have pain accompanied by fever, you should be looked at. If the dishcharge doesn't go away after all the pills and some time, I would see the doctor or some clinic again. I can't refer you to a free health services place but it looks like Anon above had some ideas. Hang in there, good luck and no matter what, your health is most important so keep an eye on it.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 1:27 AM on Jul. 20, 2009