If my daughter doesnt climb out of her crib yet is it ok to put off the toddler bed? And for how long???

2 yr old toddler
I am thinking of purchasing a breathable crib bumper bcuz her binki keeps falling out at night & I'm getting so tired running up and down the stairs to fetch it for her! (she cried until she gets it back)

taliarosesmommy

Asked by taliarosesmommy at 3:57 PM on Jun. 22, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If she isn't climbing out... why bother. Especially if her room is upstairs... the older the better. If she's in a toddler bed and she wanders around the house at night will she fall down the stairs half asleep? I'd keep her in the crib until she starts climbing out. I need to stay off stairs half asleep! LOL Keep the crib. You do what is right for your family. She's too young for someone to tease her about the "big girl" bed yet.
    MsTori

Answer by MsTori at 4:10 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• My son will be 2 next month and there is no way on earth that I would think of putting him in a toddler bed. Simply because I know that he would get into all kinds of mischief if allowed to do so. He doesn't climb out of his crib yet and as with my oldest, will keep him in there as long as possible. Just for the peace of mind knowing that he's safe.
    As for the bumper pad, I put one in the crib when my son was about 8-9 months old for the same reason, soother would fall out and he would cry till he got it back. It's all a personal choice, but your daughter is old enough for a bumper pad.
    meetzycat

Answer by meetzycat at 4:13 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• You can put it off for another year. Rachel is still very happpy in the crib as well. I think actually I transitioned Ashley & Danny both around 3 y.o. Good luck. Was that your quest. about the binki also?? Bcuz you can buy a clip to attatch to her jammies at night and she can't throw it out.
    momnlovinit

Answer by momnlovinit at 4:17 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• Ditto. Clara is 2 and hasn't even tried climbing out of the crib (fingers crossed). She is also on another level/floor of the house so I'm in no hurry to get a toddler bed either! Clara actually seems to enjoy the security of her 'bed' and if she feels overwhelmed she asks to go into it, even if she doesn't nap/sleep.
    EBKBCB

Answer by EBKBCB at 4:42 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• What's the rush? If she's not climbing out & still sleeps well, the toddler bed can wait. I never took the padded bumper out of my son's crib b/c he kept getting his legs stuck between the bars, so I think a bumper (any kind you want to get) would be OK. Maybe you could get her the toddler bed for Christmas or her next Birthday... let her pick it out!
    crazysocks830

Answer by crazysocks830 at 4:47 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• We put in a crib tent for the same reason! She would throw out her stuffed doggie and her blankie and then scream to have them back. None of us were getting any sleep.

The crib tent stopped her from doing that and now it stops her from climbing out. (She's an avid climber.) I'm going to try a toddler bed later this fall - she'll be about 27 months. If it causes too many problems, I'll put her back in the crib (with tent) and try again a few months later. I figure, as long as the crib will support her weight and she can't get hurt climbing out (because she can't climb out!) then what's the rush?
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 5:03 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• My son is 27 months old and is still in his crib. He could easily climb out but has never tried. Like the old saying "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". He can stay in his crib until he's 6 as far as I'm concerned!!!
    ZacsMom

Answer by ZacsMom at 8:34 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• I forgot, we DID get the crib tent for Danny so he wouldn't climb out. They are great!!! and it will keep your pacifier in too.
    momnlovinit

Answer by momnlovinit at 8:00 AM on Jun. 23, 2008