if a working mother has a day off work, should her kids have a day off daycare too?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:20 AM on Jul. 20, 2009 in General Parenting

• With my 3 kids, I was always eager to be with them - I loved them; their presence energized me and buoyed my spirits. I was alway sad when school vacations were over.

You know that hormone which floods you during childbirth - oxytocin? It is the same as the hormone of falling in love. You feel a surge of joy when your lover comes into the room, and the same is true of your baby - especially when natural birth has not been interfered with and chemicals (like pitocin) and tension have not curtailed that flood of oxytocin. This joy stays with you throughout motherhood - I still feel it when any of my kids phones or comes to visit.

And I never had a hard time with resting amidst their busy company. But it is possible that my kids were happier and thus less needy than some people's kids ... I don't know how to account for parents who find their children trying (a lot of my co-workers seem to dislike their kids)
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 1:35 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• I'm a SAHM but I think they should not get a day off from the daycare, it's your day off to have you time
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 12:23 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• I'm not sure I understand your question? Sorry. If a working mother has a day off of work if it's for health reasons or vacation if day care can be afforded even if the day off is not paid by the employer, I think if the mom can still afford to pay day care that day inthat week, then there's nothing wrong with kids being in day care that day she has off.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:23 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• I think that it really varies with the situation. In some cases that might be mom's only time to run errands and do house stuff. In some cases mom might just need a break, it's o.k. not to have your kids with you 24/7. Sometimes mom's come back better equipped after a break. I just think there are too many variables to make a blanket statement.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 12:25 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Not unless she has something special planned for them.

Kids thrive on routine and moms needs breaks now and then!
    Cherrie522

Answer by Cherrie522 at 12:26 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• if it were me, i would still put them in daycare
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 12:26 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• That's really up to the mother, in my opinion.

Like teamquinn said, "too many variables to make a blanket statement," && "it's o.k. not to have your kids with you 24/7." I agree with these statements.
    HisMommySince07

Answer by HisMommySince07 at 12:28 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• I don't like the thought of it. Working moms should take advantage of the mommy time they get since 15-50 hours a week of it is lost. It depends on the mom though. If she's the type to not do anything w/ her kid(s) while she's there, then they might as well spend the day in daycare.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 12:30 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• I really think it depends on the situation. There is really no right or wrong on this one. I personally would plan something fun and take my son for a vacation day. In my situation a family member cared for my child for free though so if I had a day off I'd feel like I was taking advantage of her if I had a day off and didn't take my son with me. I might have made a different decision if I had been paying for daycare though. I did when I still worked outside of the house.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:49 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• When I was a single mom and my boys were in daycare if I got the day off I would still take them and use the day to catch up on errands and cleaning.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 12:50 AM on Jul. 20, 2009