Baby is rolling onto tummy in crib but not ready! HELP!

My 15 week old baby has not yet mastered rolling over.He rolls onto his left side and then on to his tumy eventually, usually just at night in his crib. Otherwise he HATE tummy time although I practice this with him several times a day until he gets too frustrated. Tonight I watched as he rolled over and got stuck with his hand kinda smushed down the side of the crib (its a tight mattress but I guess he can still kinda fit it a little) and he can never get back the way he came so he was literally stuck against the crib and he was almost head down on the matress!!! He just cannot get his left arm unstuck so he does not complete the process of turning over. I am not getting any sleep now that he does this bc I know he will keep doin git.I turn him back over and within the hour he will do this again. he is half sleeping when he does it.It does not seem safe at all!!! especialy cus I worry about SIDS so much :(

soveryconfused

Asked by soveryconfused at 12:22 AM on Jul. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Have you tried a wedge? thats what we used for our daughter and it worked really good she's still kickin :) Good luck and try and get some sleep I know it's hard! or maybe talk to his doctor about what other choices you can have.
    Heidikans

Answer by Heidikans at 12:31 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• If you swaddle him he shouldn't be able to roll - thats what we did with my daughter. But if he doesn't like swaddling I would try the wedge.
    Kiiimmm

Answer by Kiiimmm at 12:38 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• My son is so active. he gets right out of a swaddle. we even had the velcro pouch thing but he wiggled his hands out. does not enjoy it plus hes always really warm i think it would be too hot. i am going to try a wedge though. I bet he will rolll right over it! ha he just kicks off with his legs so hard that is what gets him to his left side..
    soveryconfused

Answer by soveryconfused at 12:41 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• the store now sells pillows that hold the baby in place at night (not with straps or anythuing dont worry) it fits the baby body look at walmart i know they sell it
    alexmama2209

Answer by alexmama2209 at 12:47 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• I researched this tonight after posting and I have found alot of things saying NOT to use a positioner once baby is starting to roll over bc it wil only be a hazard. Also a few sites have said that once baby can roll over the risk of sids is already reduced. Not sure what to do at this point. I amgoing to keep my baby on his stomache all day tomorrow so he gets some good head control!!!!! maybe if he practices all day he will not want to at night !
    soveryconfused

Answer by soveryconfused at 12:59 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• I'm sure I'll catch slack for this but I have 5 children and I've let all of them sleep on their tummies once they figured out how to roll.
    Kim3125

Answer by Kim3125 at 1:09 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Kim I think alot of ppl do the same once baby can roll .my concern is that he doesnt do it fully yet and gets stuck in unsafe positions. i wish he could roll all the way and keep his head to the side but he puts it down and his arm is stuck.
    soveryconfused

Answer by soveryconfused at 1:12 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• I would definitely try to give him tummy time during the day then like you said. Maybe even put him down for his naps on his tummy during the day when you're able to check on him often. I know mine falls into a deep sleep after her lunchtime bottle and I'm able to put her down on her tummy and position her head to the side without her waking. The can usually roll from their tummies to their backs first... its easier for them.
    Kim3125

Answer by Kim3125 at 1:21 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Yea my son did this too. He is a co sleeper at the moment and sometimes I just lay next to him and stare at him b/c I am paranoid. When he's in the crib he just rolls over and then he wakes himself up. The crib is right next to our bed so I am pretty close and can check on him a lot when he's in it.
    mommylovesu28

Answer by mommylovesu28 at 2:13 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• I wouldn't be too concerned about. Sleeping on his belly isn't going to cause SIDS, it is just throught to help prevent it. And at this age, if he's rolling around, it's good physical development. Does he lay long ways in the crib and then roll into the side? Maybe lay him so when he rolls, he's got more room to cover? (does that make sense) that way he doesn't roll right into the side.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:11 AM on Jul. 20, 2009