Why is teaching my children a bad thing?

I am one mad mother! I made it very clear today that my children are not to go to another church. THey are baptized Catholic, she 2 are confirmed and right now they will go to a Catholic church.

Well apparently that makes me a horrible mother who refuses to let her children think. I remember telling my MIL she could pick up the kids for church if she wanted, I told her she could take them to her church years ago. She never took me up on the offer and the kids go to Catholic Church. How can a person think after 14 years of never taking them to church you have the right to pick them up and start them on another path?

I am Catholic, I believe in the Catholic faith, I believe this is the church set up by Christ and the last time I checked I have a right to teach my children my beliefs.

Before we got married my husband and i BOTH agreed to raise our children Catholic.

drink-lover

Asked by drink-lover at 12:24 AM on Jul. 20, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• You are not wrong. It is the right thing to do to raise your children to your faith and beliefs. Good for you for wanting them to have a relationship with God. :)
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 12:41 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• what do your children want?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:27 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• I understand that you would be upset but....
    It wouldn't hurt them to go to a different church every once in a while. When they get home you could all have a discussion about what the other church thought and you could make comparisons. I don't think it would diminish their faith...
    motherofanaries

Answer by motherofanaries at 12:29 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• O.K. Are you more upset because she didn't respect your wishes or because she took your kids to a non-catholic church, or is it both? I would be more upset about the first one. I doubt very seriously that one visit to another denomination is going to cause your children much confusion.

You and your husband need to make it clear that this isn't to happen again.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 12:30 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• How often does your mother in law see your kids? How often has she taken them on Sundays? How long were your children staying with her when she took them to another church? Was she putting them in her religion's Vacation Bible School without asking you? Good chance she felt that her church for a day or a few days of her religion's Vacation Bible School for a few days was a safer learning place for them to be than not be. How different was your mil new religion? Whn did you mother in law last see yr kids and u too together or separately before she took them to her new religion? You're leaving a whole lot out of yr question. Can't make a statement for or against bcuz of much missing. The questions I asked are for you to think of if you can and to remember that in this day and age God loves many many people for ever in spite of our differences. Are you sure you want to somewhat put down your mil/kids for observn?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:35 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• My husband is Catholic, he wants the children raised Catholic. My children want to be Catholic. I told them before confirmation it was their decision. By being confirmed they are confirming they want to be part of the Catholic Church and willing to receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

She didn't take them anywhere because I won't let her. I didn't mean to say that, I am hardly able to think right now so my words are jumbled.

I resent being told I need to change their religious paths now. If she wanted to expose them to her church she had an open invitation.
    drink-lover

Answer by drink-lover at 12:36 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• There comes a time when you have to let go. You can't control everything your kids see and hear and if you have given them a start in your belief system that's the best you can do... they will grow up and make their own choices.

That being said, I personally don't believe in teaching children one path or another. I think every person needs to find their own, in order for it to really mean something. I was given the opportunity to explore on my own and I did... many different churches. I'm so thankful that I was allowed to form my own opinions and beliefs, because now they really mean something to me.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:37 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• It seems to me that she might have a problem with your religion, and might now try to influence them differently. It would bother me if anyone tried to introduce another religion to my kids. I don't hide other religions from them, I respect all other religions, and we discuss them often. I just feel that it is something very personal, and even grandparent's have to stay out of certain things. You raise your kids the way YOU feel is best.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:39 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• O.K. so you are upset because she said you were a bad mother? In all honesty I think you are going to have to let it roll off your back. You are not going to change her opinion.

I think that how you raise your children is your decision. And your mil should respect that.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 12:41 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Ati, you have a right to feel that way. I feel that I should teach my children about Jesus. I teach them what I know, I know the Catholic religion. It was no secret I would teach them the Catholic religion. Over a decade ago I offered to let my child be dedicated in her church. she did not step up years ago and teach them her beliefs.

Just for the record. I think most the Catholics I know, and even the majority of Christians I know, researched and learned on their own at a certain time in their life. Most of learned about other religions and even went to other churches. Many even questioned their belief in God for awhile. I personally believe my children will not be able to make this decision without being taught was they are making a decision about.
    drink-lover

Answer by drink-lover at 12:46 AM on Jul. 20, 2009