How old was your child when they could read on their own?

At what age did you start actively teaching them to read and at what age could they read entirely on their own?

usbornebooksdh

Asked by usbornebooksdh at 12:45 AM on Jul. 20, 2009 in General Parenting

• My son could read some by 4 by age 5 he was reading chapter books. He is almost 7 and reads at a 7th grade level. I really didn't teach him. I have been reading to him since he was born and he developed a love of books. He memorized many stories and then figured out words through that. He was kind of self taught I guess. In Kindergarten he really picked it up. He was tested and is profoundly gifted probably if I had been militant I could have taught him earlier but I believe kids learn more through play than by rigid instruction. Read to your little one and play games. Kids learn so much through play.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:13 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• My oldest daughter was 6 (kindergarten), but didn't get really good until 7 (first grade). My oldest son was memorizing the first step readers at 3 and reading on his own at 5 (kindergarten). My 4 year old can't (and neither can the baby LOL).
    Amber115

Answer by Amber115 at 2:41 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• three to both questions. he knew all his phonics from using the leapfrog fridge magnets so I started him out with a series of small, short books that each focus on a single short vowel sound in a CVC word: "the cat sat on the mat" and went to some reading websites such as starfall with him, but he just took to it quickly and I don't remember much else aside from telling him once that i-g-h-t says "ite" and within two months or so he was reading pretty fluently, and at a sixth grade level by age five.
    but he's a very bright kid. : )
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 3:52 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• My dd is 3 and has been reading for a while now. My son could some at 4, but now at 5 he is great at it ;)
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 6:49 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• I've always read to my girls - its been a part of their bedtime routines since they were small.

but my oldest is a big time reader - she did always 'read' but I don't think it was until school that she started actually putting words together - so 5.

middle loves books but doesn't have the patience - she's ADD and can't concentratevery long. she's 6 tomorrow and doing well.
    youngest - is memorizing words from books she sees and what big sister teaches
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 7:28 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• I taught both of mine to read when they were 4, and they've been reading chapter books since they were 6.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 7:37 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• The oldest was in kindergarten. She was reading Junie B Jones books by the end of the year with no help. She was still 5.
    My son was in 1st grade and 7 before he was able to read simple books. He's almost 8 now and going into 2nd grade and just now starting to be able to read stuff like Junie but with a lot of help (I have to sit right next to him in case he doesn't know a word).
    My 6yo can't read. I'm helping her this summer and she's learned a few sight words and some short a words but that's it.
    My 3yo has little interest in books.
    I never tried to teach them to read, though...not until this summer with my 6yo. and I'm only teaching her because the kindergarten teacher and the 1st grade teacher expects them to be able to read. Don't see why we're paying $ for this school if I'm supposed to teach them all this stuff. If I had wanted to do that I would have homeschooled.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:29 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• I started teaching when they were baby’s basics such as love of books, toddlers I started with sounds, recognition and such through games and songs. By the time my children entered kindergarten age they were reading chapter books, they love reading and have always been ahead of many of their peers when it came to reading standards.

I have four children, my eldest was 4 1/2, my other two were 4 years old and my youngest was 3 when they started reading on their own.
    Knightquester

Answer by Knightquester at 11:37 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• We didn't actively teach our daugher to read; she started reading and tying her shoes around her 4th birthday (before she was fully potty trained.)

Answer by rkoloms at 5:34 PM on Jul. 20, 2009