Plan B Contraceptive

My 16 year old sister told me that she had sex for the first time last night-unprotected. She is trying to get me to get her the "Morning After" pill b/c she can't go and get it without going through her health insurance and my mom would end up finding out. I just looked it up and I can get it without a prescription. I have always been really close to my sisters(they are twins) and have always told me they can tell me anything and I will do what I can to help however I can. But I'm not sure what to do about this. Should I get it for her or tell her she has to live with her mistake whether she ends up pregnant or not?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:02 AM on Jul. 20, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• I am a health educator and it is important that you let your sister know she can get the pill without a perscription, she can do that herself and that she needs to do it as soon as possible. Living with something she considers a mistake could result in a pregnancy that would be life-changing for your sister. Only you can decide whether you can support her decision; however, it sounds like you love your sister and would like to support her. The bigger issue is that your sister decides to make better decisions about her sexual behaviors. If she chooses to have sex, it should not be a mistake and she should be prepared to be protected from both pregnancy and disease. If she feels it was a mistake, she should decide what steps she will take to prevent being in this situation again in the future. I would encourage your sister to talk with a caring adult before she chooses to be sexual again and hopefully that would be mom.
    MaryHalterHED

Answer by MaryHalterHED at 3:53 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• I would get it for her and then help her to get on the pill and explain to her that you won't do it again.
    Kim3125

Answer by Kim3125 at 2:18 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Don't get her on the pill because then she'll think having sex at 16 is ok and that you approve of it. Explain the risks of sex-protected or not and that she can still get pregnant and get STD's with a condom and being on the pill. Basically, scare the shit out of her so she wont' have sex again. She's not ready. She's too young. Don't let her be another statistic.
    sarapurser

Answer by sarapurser at 3:19 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Definitely help her get Plan B, then help her get a prescription for the Pill for future protection. (Take her to Planned Parenthood; she can purchase a generic brand of the pill for as low as $9 per month.)

Tell her that you love her and care about her protection, and you understand it was her first time, but she needs to take strides to protect herself in the future. Get her on the pill.
    Mousuke

Answer by Mousuke at 4:16 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• teach her how to use a condom.Pills won't protect her against STD's. I know too many people that go pregnant on the pill.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 9:12 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Get her the pills!! But then tell her it is time to sit down with your mom. Be there for her if she wishes, but she needs to talk with your mom. If she is going to be having sex she needs to have the right protection and know what is expected of her. Only your mother can tell her how she feels. I have a 16 yo dd and we have had many conversations about sex. It is really difficult and not fun at all, but she needs to hear some things that should come from her mom. Your mom may surprise her and take her for the pills herself. Give your mom a chance. It is great she has you, but some times you need your mom.
    wallmom1

Answer by wallmom1 at 10:35 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• you caqn get it at planned parenthood... you dont have to have insurance and is like35 bucks
    Anonymous

• You need to teach her to be responsible. She needs to talk to your mom. It may be hard but if she wants to act like an adult she needs to be responsible like an adult. Yes, I am older but when I was younger I didn't use a condem and when I look back now I was playing with death.
    robinsi2000

Answer by robinsi2000 at 3:04 PM on Jul. 21, 2009