When is it really necessary for a child to need his own room? What about co-sleeping?

I am a newly single mom, currently living with my mom and grandparents. My son is 7 months old and has a crib in my room, but often ends up sleeping in bed with me for at least part of the night. I am trying to come up with a time line to move out on my own, but not sure when it's absolutely necessary for my son to have his own room.

notreally69

Asked by notreally69 at 2:32 AM on Jul. 20, 2009 in General Parenting

• I moved mine at 6 months. I started noticing we would wake each other up every couple hours for no reason. Plus she was getting mobile and i was worried she would wake up and take off....off the bed! I did CIO. Took about 4 days but now we are both happy, and sleep MUCH better!
    Lauren24

Answer by Lauren24 at 2:41 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• If you want him to sleep in his room you just have to put him in there. The first night, my daughter cried for about 45 minutes and then went to sleep. Every night it was about 15 minutes less and within a few days she was used to it and had a better schedule and routine than ever.

It's not safe for them to sleep in the same bed with you.

And I'll tell you from experience it only gets worse. It affects your love life and sleep. The child also becomes dependant on sleeping with you and needing you there for comfort and will have a harder time falling asleep without you. That means that if you want to stay up late, it can completely screw up their schedule.

I know my cousin had her kids in a crib in her room for about a year before putting them in their own, but I think it was a space issue. My daughter had a bassinet in our room and our next baby is staying in a crib in our room, but once again, it's space.
    tcarter1981

Answer by tcarter1981 at 2:43 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• They say that having them in the room (not in your bed) till 6 months reduces SIDS risk. DH and I may keep them in our room till they're a year, but we haven't decided yet. We don't co sleep though, they have bassinets beside our bed. And we'll be getting those cosleepers that extend from the sides of the bed (long enough for up to a year I think). They're much safer than having your LO in your bed.
    katzmeow726

Answer by katzmeow726 at 2:45 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Usually I have moved my kids out of my room by 6 months, but this baby has stayed much longer. He just turned 1 and still sleeps in our room. My hubby says he (the baby) isn't ready yet... LOL. I think it is hubby who isn't ready yet LOL. This is the last baby and I think we are a little more sentimental. I have been ready for months LOL. Anyway, there is no right age. If you can not give your child their own room, that is okay, really. You shouldn't feel rushed to give your child a room. Your child has a roof over their head and that is what is really important. Some people co-sleep for years and it works for them. My youngest was co-sleeping, but now he sleeps through the night in his crib (by his own doing).
    Amber115

Answer by Amber115 at 2:46 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• It's a myth that having a baby sleep with you is unsafe. It's much safer than crib sleeping. My nearly 2 year old still sleeps with me. It's normal for a child to want their parents for comfort -we're they're parents. We co sleep and DH and I have an uninterrupted love life -there are plenty of places to have sex other than your bed- and I sleep better knowing DD is safe. I think it's irresponsible and dangerous to give a child their own room too soon. Nothing beats parental supervision. You won't know if they wake up or get hurt til it's too late if they're in their own room. Then there are scarier situatoins like fires or break ins. So pushing it too soon should be more of a concern than doing it too late. I'd have it depend on the child's maturity and routine. If you KNOW he won't wake up in the night or before you in the morning and you can trust him if he does, go ahead. I'd do it around 4-6 years.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 2:52 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• my ds went to his won room starting from day 1...both dh and i are heavy sleepers, more so dh, and i never wanted to take the risk of ds getting hurt...plus, really, we spend every minute of everyday with our kids, and for me, my bed is my sanctuary and needed to stay that way. not that he didn't sleep with us occasionally, but we never let it become a habit.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:17 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• my girls were in their own rooms by about 6weeks.

it was mostly for our own sanity and love life. we ALL slept much better when we were all in our own rooms - babies are noisy sleepers! lol

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 7:21 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• jus1jess, it is no myth. My aunt went to a funeral not even a year ago for an infant that smothered to death when his dad rolled over on him and did not realize it. He wasn't drunk and was always a calm sleeper. They never shared a bed with their eldest child, who is turning 9 this fall. Sorry but you'll never convince me the dangers of co sleeping are a myth. Frankly you sound like you believe that just so you can justify your co sleeping.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:12 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• It is PROVEN that SAFE co-sleeping does reduce SIDS up to 1 year old. That does not mean there aren't accidents and exceptions to this. My children sleep in co-sleepers in our room until they are ready to leave. My son was 3 years old and my 2 year old is still there with us. Co-sleeping is much easier on a nursing mom too.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:34 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• My 7 yo moved into her own bed at 3 and her own room at 4. My 2yo son still is co sleeping (nursing at bed time too) and my 2mo sleeps in a cosleeper (its a little thing that slips into bed with us so no one rolls over onto her. Co sleeping is best IMO, but with safety kept strictly in mind. I am a HUGE fan of co sleeping (and no my children are not over attached my 7yo sleeps at friends house with NO problem)

For those who co sleep I suggest getting a cosleeper that goes in bed with you to protect the baby from accidents you still get the full experience of cosleeping with all the safety of the crib.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:09 AM on Jul. 20, 2009