PCOS Anyone have it?

I was told almost 2 weeks ago that i have PCOS. I have started metformin on last tuesday and just wondered if anyone else has tried it and what were your results? Or what else have you tried and had luck getting pregnant? we have been trying for mths now...6+mths and am heartbroken to learn that i have this now and not sure how to feel or think about it. Thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:45 AM on Jul. 20, 2009 in Health

• What is PCOS?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:08 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• PCOS is related or some think is caused by insulin resistance. Metformin ( glucophage) reduces or helps to stop inuslin resistance. insulin resistance can be the primary stage of diabetes and in some people does not necessarily cause diabetes. This is also related to Syndrome X some theorists believe.
    in clinical trials metformin caused some women who were menopausal to become fertile again and resulted in pregnancy. i used metformin to help with my second pregnancy but believe it was more related to removing sugar completely from my diet that aided in the pregnancy. it took two years from TTC to having a positive pregnancy test.

since then i have treated my PCOS with chromium on a daily basis instead of prescription medications. if you have time google the chromium research, it's available OTC and is very cheap. since using the chromium i have no PCOS issues. and was able to conceive a third child while on birth control!
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 9:59 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• PolyCystic Ovary Syndrome. I have it and have had 3 children. My dd has it and she has 2 children. She is now on Metformin. She has no desire to have more children. She was a diabetic and has lost so much weight on the Metformin that she's no longer diabetic. Not sure how her pcos is.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:04 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• I was put on Metformin after having issues conceiving my third child. I had gotten to the point with PCOS, that I was no longer getting periods. After being put on Metformin, I resumed my period the next month and was pregnant 3 mths after starting to take Metformin. I was on Metformin for the first 3 mths of my pregnancy and lost 22 lbs from the total of 6mths on Metformin. After this baby is born, this girl is going back on the stuff... seems to do wonders for my body and gives me the opportunity to lose weight for once in my life. FYI: This pregnancy, I am 34 weeks pregnant now, I have only gained back 8 lbs of the 22 I have lost... Loving it!
    campsallmel

Answer by campsallmel at 4:07 PM on Jun. 22, 2010