Anyone else have a hard time sleeping when baby (newborn) sleeps? I just worry about SIDS, choking, etc.... I know I shouldn't but it's hard for me to sleep when baby is unless I know someone else is up with him. Anyone else have this problem? How did you get over it? How long did it take you before you could sleep when he/she did?

finallyamom40

Asked by finallyamom40 at 2:46 AM on Jul. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I was paranoid too... I couldn't sleep well either, always up and checking that he was okay.
    Like the pp I also got an angle care movement monitor and it up my mind at ease and I was able to sleep again. We have never had a false alarm. It's totally worth it if you are a worrier like me.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:17 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• I know how u feel hon, my son was 3lbs 10 oz when her came home from the hospital at 3 week old, i never slept when he did, i sat there watching him while he was sleeping.... It took along time for me to get over it. mostly it was because i was so tired i couldnt do it anymore. the best way i found was to put the baby in the bassinet and put it right next to the bed and lay down right next to it. I took me weeks to finally fall asleep while he was sleeping.... Its hard! special if u are a new mom, i went through it with my second but not as badly.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:51 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• I was like that with both my babies when they were first born, I always kept the bassinet by my bed and have my hand on it and I would wake up every so often and feel with my finger if he is breathing, and every time he made a noise I would wake up and check on him. I still check on them even now one is almost four and the other one is 8 months

looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 2:52 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Welcome to motherhood! You aren't "officially a mom" until you have gone to the crib to make sure the sleeping baby is still breathing.
    Don't worry, it is normal to worry.
    say_tay

Answer by say_tay at 8:02 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Yep that is why I purchased the angelcare monitor. it alarms if there is movement/including breathing for 20 seconds. I still dont want something to happen where the alarm would go off of course so I check alot still. I think once my son is 6 months I will feel better but right now it is great.I feel that I can go about my day when hes napping and get some rest at night bc there is a little angel watching over him :)
    soveryconfused

Answer by soveryconfused at 9:26 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• I didn't sleep for the first 2 nights my daughter was home because I just kept waking up at her every movement and sound to make sure she was ok...even though she was right next to me in her bassinett. I moved her into my bed the 3rd night and finally got some good sleep, and so did she. Now she's in her own bed and I can't sleep again!
    DreaKevAiyana

Answer by DreaKevAiyana at 10:30 AM on Jul. 20, 2009