depression

what exactly causes depression? I mean i get to feeling so sad many times especially when i feel so unloved

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:50 AM on Jul. 20, 2009 in Relationships

• It can also be caused by negative thoughts and eventually they lead to a chemical imbalance. If you catch yourself thinking things like "I'll never be happy again" or "I'm not good enough for...." "No one loves me" etc, those are the thoughts that need to be fixed. Drugs can really screw with you (I've taken several different kinds) and sometimes the best thing is to learn cognitive behavior therapy.
    Cowgirl_mom_21

Answer by Cowgirl_mom_21 at 3:06 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• It is a chemical imbalance in the brain. Often it runs in families. There are many different medications for it, some being prozac and Zoloft. Actually they are the same thing but Prozac is more known as the worst medicine but in truth it is the same as Zoloft.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 3:03 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• It's the chemicals in your brain. If your body doesn't produce enough dopamine-the happy horomone-you'll start feeling depressed. Serotonein and norephinephrin decrease as well. You can help it with meds-but there are other ways such as eating better and getting more exercise. Try doing yoga-that helps your body and mind.
    sarapurser

Answer by sarapurser at 3:22 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• As a woman who has suffered from depression, I can only tell you what it was in my own case. My depression was the result of unexpressed anger. A lot of it had to do with my personality and the fact that I never want to hurt anyone's feelings. So, when someone stomped all over me, I would internalize my anger and never allow myself to speak to the person who had injured me. This was a habit that began in my earliest childhood. It may be true that some people are depressed because of a physical cause, but I know that it is not always the case. So, if you are depressed, do a personal assessment, asking yourself if there is someone or maybe a group of people with whom you are extremely angry. Anger is not a sin, but it must be properly expressed. Sometime it is as simple as learning to say to another person that what they have done to you was hurtful and that you do not appreciate their attitude. I am now completely free
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 8:52 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• There are two types of depression. 1) circumstantial (such as death of a loved one, divorce, child moving away, etc) and 2) physiological (brain not working properly). I have suffered from both but the latter needs meds. I refuse to take prescription meds for it and I use an Over the Counter product called 5HTP and take Vitamin B Complex when I feel an episode coming on. They used to last for weeks at a time but now they only last for days. I just had a nasty episode last week and it lasted 4 days. I was thrilled. Remember also that it's cyclical so if you hit what you think is rock bottom, then hold on. The cycle will take you back up again to where you feel ok but eat healthy food and exercise. I know that's not what you want to hear but movement helps fight depression and so does sunlight. I used to darken my windows and lay around but that was the worst thing to do. Get up and out in the sun and walk around.

Answer by admckenzie at 12:59 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• If it lasts solidly for more than 2 weeks, you need to see a doctor. You could be clinically depressed and in need of medication. If this is just a bad day every now and again, then it's probably not depression. You just need to change some things in your life and make yourself happy.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 1:15 PM on Jul. 20, 2009