Christians: how secure are you with what non Christians believe

I might be naive to what other Christians think about religions that are different from their own way of thinking. I personally couldn't care less if my neighbors prayed the entire time they were at the grocery store. I have seen several football players kneel after making a touchdown, Oksana Byule crossed herself before she began to perform. It never bothered me that I had to watch/listen to a prayer that might not be the same beliefs as mine. I personally don't believe God works in sports games, but I am not about to call foul on a player who does.

If we are secure in our own beliefs and how we pray would we care how our neighbors pray or what they believe? As long as you or your child is not forced to participate, do you care how others pray?how many Christians moms would care if a Wicca, muslim or Jewish or person of other faith said a prayer before a game and you had to hear it but not participate in it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:42 AM on Jul. 20, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I agree with jennijune and november love.

It doesnt bother me to hear another pray. In fact, I like it because it shows they are not afraid to show their faith(of any religion or belief).
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 12:29 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• idc!?!?!?!?! who would tho????? idk mann
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:44 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• The problem is not concern with what others believe. The problem is all being tax-paying citizens and having only one group's religious beliefs being promoted in a public area. This is often seen as a disservice to individuals of other religions who want to be equally included, respected and nurtured by the same opportunities and services that everyone else gets. While most people can respect a Christian prayer, what isn't respectable is how no one else is ever thought of to be included. As a Christian, would I be OK with a public Pagan blessing or reading from the Upanishads or thanks to another diety at an event, over the loud speaker, without participating in it or being upset? Sure. But how many times do you see that happen ever? Do I think the majority of other Christians would be OK with that? No, I don't.

It's not about insecurity, it is about equality and respect :-)
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 8:13 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• I am okay with ANYONE who wants to pray to whomever they want to pray too. I think it's sad that so many schools are now disallowing prayer before games/assemblies. I think its even sadder when I see schools that allow one or some to pray, but not all. In other words - go ahead and keep on praying, but it should be allowed for ALL faiths, not just Christians (as it is in some schools) or non-Christians (as it is in others).
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 8:19 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Since it was brought up about sporting events and school I feel there should be a moment of silence in which everyone can pray or not as they see fit and not someone up saying a Christian prayer or other religion. It bothers me that Christianity is allowed, but those same Christians would get very upset if a Muslim or Pagan got up there and said a prayer before a sporting event.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 3:29 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• but those same Christians would get very upset if a Muslim or Pagan got up there and said a prayer before a sporting event.
    ____
    don't assume things. THIS christian wouldn't care what prayer was said.
    Anonymous

• Anonymous

but those same Christians would get very upset if a Muslim or Pagan got up there and said a prayer before a sporting event.

____ don't assume things. THIS christian wouldn't care what prayer was said.

You aren't in the south, are you? Most of my area would have a conniption fit at even a rumor of respecting other religions in this manner. I've seen many, many people on cafemom, too, basically declare that they are all for freedom of religion -- in that everyone is free to be their flavor of christianity, and nothing else signifies. There are many -- too many -- off line and on who feel that all other religions, lack of belief, and being in any proximity of either of those constitutes fraternizing with the devil himself, and damns them as well.

roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 8:03 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• I don't think I would be offended, I've never encountered this problem. But my preference would be a moment of silence so that you felt able to participate in your particular manor.  The problem with anyone of any faith leading prayer is that by their position of authority they promote their religion, and the school or institution by allowing it gives the impression of endorsing it.  I would rather they do the national anthem then have a moment of silence or move on without anything to the event.

teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 12:32 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• yea as a matter fact I am!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:19 AM on Jul. 21, 2009