School routines!

My daughter has the worst schedule! Falls asleep after 10pm, wakes after 9 or 10 pm. Doesn't eat for the first hour or two. Gets sick if we go anywhere before she eats. Is crabby and doesn't take a nap until after 3pm.

And is starting 3 full days of 4 yr kindergarten this Fall. HELP!!!!

I feel like I've tried everything. I'd like to get her in bed by 7:30, but her dad doesn't even like to eat dinner until after 6pm. Then there's bath, reading and episode of AFV and it's 9pm already! The late nap doesn't help, but if she doesn't take one she's impossible to deal with.

Any tips? I can't send her to school like this. Do you think I should just say screw her dad's eating schedule and start dinner at like 4:30 or something?

tcarter1981

Asked by tcarter1981 at 3:44 AM on Jul. 20, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• You can give her a bath and get her all ready for bed before dinner, eat at about 6:30 with daddy, and then after dinner brush her teeth and put her to bed. What time is AFV? If you're done eating by 7 she can watch one episode then go to bed at 7:30.
    TreseLapish

Answer by TreseLapish at 1:01 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• stop that nap... that's first. then if she is impossible to deal with take her to the park or outside to run off some energy. sidewalk chalk anyone???? :) then start dinner around 5:30, next is bathtime., give her dinner and on her way from the table have her kiss daddy goodnight and off to her room for about 20 minutes of quiet play and hit the lights.
    NURSE_MOM_OF_2

Answer by NURSE_MOM_OF_2 at 4:26 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• get her out of bed earlier - it'll be miserable adjustment

drop the nap

feed her early - around 5:30 is a really good time for kids to eat.

bed at 7 -7:30

keep strong about enforcing it, don't give in! and lots of luck! my middle dd is like that so I have to get her up, make her eat, keep her going and then enforce bedtime too
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 7:11 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• You have enough time to slowly move her routine, Do it 1/2 hour at a time. Wake her at 8:30 instead of 9. Then after a week wake her at 8am. Is that episode of AFV really 'mandatory'? If DH doesn't want to eat until 6pm, make her meal earlier.
    say_tay

Answer by say_tay at 7:49 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• I agree with the above posts.....change your routine NOW...you have plenty of time to start working on it now. If Dad doesn't want to eat until later, then he either eats by himself or he will adjust his routine----parenting is about adjusting!!! Get her in bed earlier, stop the naps. Yes it will be HARD on everyone as the changes start but BETTER for everyone in the long run. Good luck
    lissa27504

Answer by lissa27504 at 12:31 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Every day you could wake her up 15 minutes earlier until she's up at the time you want. That way it's not such a shock to her. No napping, keep her busy. My LO can't nap or she'll be up until 3am. If your DH wants to eat later than let him but your daughter has to eat before her bedtime. You could feed her by herself and just keep her company or eat with her and let your DH eat by himself. I don't know what AVF is but it's not needed to be part of the bedtime schedule. TV can actually disturb her sleep.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 12:50 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• well my kids are 2 and 9 months but since my 2yr old was born i have had a routine. he would take two naps and then at 1 yr we moved it to 1 nap and we(ds and i ) would have dinner at 5 30 take a little walk around the block come home have a bath and by that time dads home. he would eat a small snack with daddy brush his teeth and then go lay down. we have a mini tv in his room and he gets to watch 30 mins of one tape. then its time for bed around 8 830. even with dd it works. ds doesnt take naps anymore so he is cranky during the day but its worth it in the end to keep him going to bed early. good luck
    knagsmom

Answer by knagsmom at 12:53 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• SS doesn't eat breakfast. He just isn't hungry in the morning. (He's five and starting kindergarten too.) We wake up at 7AM every morning. We eat breakfast, SS usually sits at the table and keeps us company. We then play outside (or have an hour each of TV time and then play inside) until lunch time. I make lunch so that we are eating at 12PM. Then it's DS's nap time (22 months old) and SS's quiet time. DH comes home from school at about 3PM. He takes the kids outside again to play, or plays with them in their room. I make supper ready for at 6PM sharp. After supper I put everything into the kitchen, DH give the boys their bath and gets them ready for bed. DS goes to bed by 7:30. SS is in bed by 8:30. And we start the whole thing over again at 6AM the next morning, when DH is off to school and I get up to get ready myself for the day before waking the boys at 7AM. Tape AFV and watch it during the day.
    Kenre

Answer by Kenre at 1:32 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• You don't really need to lose the nap, you just need to make it earlier. My youngest currently goes to bed at 8:30. He wakes up at 7:30, has breakfast, 8am we take the big kids to school, then him at 8:30. At school or home he has nap/rest from 1-3. Then he plays until dinner. We often give him a bath and make dinner at the same time (my 9 yr old sits with him in the bathroom.) Dinner is at 6:30. After dinner is playtime, a walk in the summer and reading. Bedtime at 8:30. We rarely turn on the tv, and if the kids want to see something and are unable, we try to record it. Move her schedule slowly, it will be a little easier on both of you. You are the parent and make the rules. She can sleep in on the weekends.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 1:49 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• DO NOT STOP NAP TIME! Kindergarten has nap time. If you take away nap time at home, she will fight it at school. Nap time at school is usually 2 hours (12-2). Each week, wake your daughter 15-30 minutes earlier and put her down for a nap 15-30 minutes earlier. When does school start? Do this until she is up at 6. After a morning of activity and lunch at 11:30, she will be ready for a nap. If she wakes up before 2, she must lay still on her bed until it is time to get up. If she takes a nap, you could reward her with a trip to the park, a walk around the block, something to let her know that she did the right thing. Supper at 6. DO NOT LEAVE DAD OUT. Very important for you to eat together as a family. After supper, then the bath and night time routine. Sit down to read to her at 7:30. By 8, she will be ready for bed, if she is not already asleep! You want your home schedule to match the school schedule as closely as possible.
    Leslie2164

Answer by Leslie2164 at 2:10 PM on Jul. 20, 2009