Is your child's IQ determined by their genetics or environment?

Is a child genetically predisposed to intelligence? Or does the environment play a bigger role? Or possibly a combination? What makes you think the way you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:07 AM on Jul. 20, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Both. My kids are smart because their parents are smart. However, if I didn't spend time on homework, reading to them, using a good vocabulary, hey would not necessarily reach their full potential. Plus if you tell them they are smart. They believe it, and it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy.
    moneymagnetmom

Answer by moneymagnetmom at 4:25 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• I say a combo. We have heard of people coming from poverty and crime ridden neighborhoods and rising to the top of the Deans list. We have heard of people coming from the best schools and upbringings and not being the sharpest tool in the shed. I think it depends more on the parents.
    Mamasita98

Answer by Mamasita98 at 4:17 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• My husband and I are both smart, so we're probably _all_ good at metabolizing glucose for brain activity. But good medical care, nutrition, and stimulating activity are necessary for a child to reach her potential.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 7:02 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• I believe both. If you take an incest child or a child with a disability they are usually not as intelligent as a normal child. However I believe in the right environment they can be taught to be more intelligent but by no means a genius. If you take a child with no genetic ailments and put them in a bad environment it has tremendous probabilities to decrease their intelligence, yet not to the part of stupidity. How ever if you take a child with no genetic ailments and put them in a good environment they are more likely to be of great intelligence. Now this is only statistically speaking which means not 100% guaranteed or accurate.

hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 7:34 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Its genetics. I agree with the pp's that my kids are smart because mom and dad are smart, but geniuses are born, not created. My nephew is a genius and though my brother and SIL are smart people, he is raised in the same environment as my own kids. He knows facts about science that most adults dont know. He loves maps and will spend hours on google earth and google maps and study the cities and and the world. He has a globe that he knows very well. He has very few social skills. He tries, but he has a hard time because he would much rather be looking at maps and he can do 5th grade math. He is 8. He comes from a long line of very smart people such as my brother, myself, my dad and my grandfather. We are more into theology and psychology, but this kid is even smarter than us. I have one gifted child, but shes not really a genius, just gifted. I definitely think its genetic and then parents have to help cultivate it.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 7:38 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• I think its both.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 7:40 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• it is both
    but sometimes can not say it is a direct dna to parents
    my sister and her husband are smart
    but one of their daughters has an extremely high IQ
    she was reading at college level in 3rd grade
    my sister laughs that neither she or her husband knows where she got that kibd of smarts
    she is also a foot smaller than her classmates and nowhere on either genetic side are there people of that size
    so you never know
    boredmom44

Answer by boredmom44 at 8:13 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• So, what you are asking is the age old question of nature V nurture. In child growth and development class in college for an education degree, this topic is discussed at length. We all came to the same conclusion. It is a bit of both. We are all born with the same brain, so we all have the same chance for intelligence, but how our development is nurtured plays a large roll in our performance. I think this topic is a point of great frustration for a lot of teachers. If a child is just ignored during formative yrs at home then they hit schools behind socially as well as academically. Then the teacher gets the blame when the student is having a hard time...like they are not doing their "job" . Genetics may play a role, but I think nurture is soooo important in making the difference for a child.

salexander

Answer by salexander at 9:38 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• It's both.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 9:52 AM on Jul. 20, 2009