How do I know it's gas?

My ds has been really fussy tonight, which is very unusal for him, I haven't changed formula or done anything different (I am trying to breast feed but still have to supplement with formula. please NO BASHING I feel bad enough as it is), however it seems like he has gas and that his little tummy hurts him. I'm thinking it's gas, any other ideas? If it is gas do the mylicon drops work? He's 8 days old

finallyamom40

Asked by finallyamom40 at 5:16 AM on Jul. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• lay baby on back, then do the bicycle move with the legs. then push one knee to the opposite side and then the other knee across the belly to the other side. repeat and hold it, if its gas that move is sure to get it moving. you should actually be able to hear it in the belly, and maybe squeeze some out.

but baby will cry. mine did but felt immensely better for it.

you can also do a massage to help get things moving - lay baby down, and put the heel of your hand on groin then in a clockwise sweeping motion across the belly massage the tummy. it helps to get the colon going and should help.

I had gassy babies. even today my youngest loves to have her tummy rubbed like that when she feels icky.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 7:08 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• I'm not 100% sure how to tell it's gas, but when my 3 week old is fussy, especially during feedings its usually gas. and the mylicon is a miracle drug, plus its safe enough to give them at every feeding.
    littlemomma899

Answer by littlemomma899 at 5:53 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Do you hear any farts or burps? Do you burp after every oz? I hear that helps. My son was very gassy early on. He's 9 mos now and he still gets gassy but I think he's much better. He is a formula baby.
    mommylovesu28

Answer by mommylovesu28 at 11:18 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Most of the time if it is gas their belly will be hard. My youngest kept it, a couple of things that worked for me was 1.) try laying him long ways down the length of the top of one of your legs, (you can also lay him across this way across -- both of the tops of your leg, and you can do what we called a "potatoe sack hold" which is plopping him over your shoulder where his belly is on your shoulder. I know these probably sound mean, but they worked for me and my older family done it with theirs, the drops do work but sometimes you need something extra. Best of luck
    rebel_momma

Answer by rebel_momma at 11:48 AM on Jul. 20, 2009