How likely is it that a positive pregnancy test could be false?

Please.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:09 AM on Jul. 20, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I am pretty sure there is a zero chance that you would get a positive result and not be pregnant. You can get a false negative, but never a false positive.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 6:56 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• I think pregnancy tests are 99.9 % accurate, so there is a slim...very very slim chance that you would get a false positive. But I would be willing to bet you were pregnant!
    Rebecca727

Answer by Rebecca727 at 7:08 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• I once had a false positive and it's actually very possible. It's not common though. Usually when you get a positive you are most likely pregnant but, in my case i got a false positive. I went to the doctors and they did other tests and they were all negative. I used the digital prego test. Also, certain medications can throw off tests as well. If you want to make sure that you are..make an appointment with your doctor hun. He knows more about the possibilities of false positives than any of us. GL
    Proudparent707

Answer by Proudparent707 at 7:26 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• if you have been on BC
    i think the changes of getting a false positive can go up
    but a is very slim change to get false positive
    false neg yes, but not the other way around
    go into doc office and get another test
    good luck on getting the results that you hope for
    boredmom44

Answer by boredmom44 at 7:40 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Depending on the type of test you used, it is possible but highly unlikely. The ones with the lines are actually more dependable. They usually will NOT change color unless there is HCG present. Some medicines can interfere with this, but its again, very rare. I would treat my body as if I were pregnant, and schedule an apt with the doc asap. Good luck and congratulations!!!
    Emuu

Answer by Emuu at 9:22 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Not very, unless you are prone to ovarian cysts that will trip the test.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 9:44 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• If you're worried about a false positive, then take a couple more tests with morning pee and wait. If they are all saying yes then you can be sure.
    Kim, from justamomha.com
    justamomHA

Answer by justamomHA at 12:36 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• practically impossible. the test works by detecting the pregnancy hormone HCG in your urine. This hormone is only present when you are pregnant, and occurs at no other time. A false positive would have to be a major malfunction with the test itself, and even then it is very unlikely.
    YoucancallmeGod

Answer by YoucancallmeGod at 1:45 PM on Jul. 20, 2009