"ummm's," "you know's", "uh"'s...

So do you think kids should be using these works in normal everyday speaking? Don't you think they should be corrected to practice speaking without saying these words in conversations...My husband being a 5th grade teacher, thinks it's ok to be saying these. My kids are seven and they don't say a complete thought without using a few of these words. What are you thoughts about it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:56 AM on Jul. 20, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I think I would correct my kids - not really a discipline issue, but just helping them be aware of when they use those words. There is nothing wrong with being silent while you think of the word you want! It would help them think before they say something and hopefully help them to appreciate silence. Sometimes I think our society is afraid of quiet! Lol!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 7:01 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• I heard a politician the other day who should be a skilled public speaker, but he used "um" in at least every sentence. I was so distracted by the "ums" that I couldn't listen to the message. Perhaps you could explain to your children that the ums, uhs, and you knows do distract others from hearing what they are trying to say, and that it is tricky to get out of saying them once they become a habit. I'd suggest that every time they say something that they stop and think exactly what they want to say. They'll come across as more intelligent and quick witted. :)

Answer by Bmat at 7:11 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• If the use in every day conversation I don't see the problem. If they are using it in more formal settings like test homework and public speaking there is a problem. They should no when and where things are appropriate to say as with every thing Else. For instance they shouldn't out of the blue ask you about sex at the check out of the super market. If your child always speaks like a robot they will have a very hard time making friends and friends are a very important part of developing social skills..

hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 7:13 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Also the use of 'umm' Is mostly used when nervous or under great pressure.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 7:14 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• I don't see anything wrong w/ them as long as they are not used more than actual words. I mean we do tend to forget which word we want/mean to use sometimes and sometimes we just rethink what we are saying and want and try to bite our toungue using them, so I don't think it's such a bad thng.
    milmiracle

Answer by milmiracle at 8:01 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• It's hard because a lot of times when a person does it, it's because they are trying to complete the thought and put words to it. At 7 kids are still learning to communicate effectively and I think this is an indication that they are searching for the words that will clearly express their thoughts.

When I was a kid the word was "like," and I do have to say that I use it a lot still. It's similar to the southern "y'all" in that we don't know we're doing it and we can't kick it! So I guess it should be nipped in the bud before it gets that bad!
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:14 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• I think they should certainly be taught when to say these things and when not too. In a formal setting, or in a formal letter or other writing, then no, it is not acceptable to use any "fillers" such as umm. In everyday conversation it is generally allowed, but it needs not be every sentence. The more he/she uses it, the less likely their point will get understood. Correcting the problem now before it actually gets to be a habit is a lot easier than trying to break him/her of it later on.
    Emuu

Answer by Emuu at 9:17 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• LMAO, a local radio station had a contest every morning that was so funny. They would get a caller on the line and then give a subject...something random like "which is a better toy Barbie or GI Joe?" Then the caller would have 60 seconds to speak about the subject and it had to be fluent, and make sense...but you could not use the word UM...if you did you lost and a new caller would have a chance. They called it Don't Say Um...it was really funny...and way harder than you would think. As children we were never allowed to answer "yeah" we had to say yes. My mom was kind of a stickler when it came to grammar.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 9:25 AM on Jul. 20, 2009