Love shopping at Walmart? How do you feel about paying extra for China's emissions to produce the imports we buy?!

Do you think it's fair that Americans should "pick up the tab" for emissions production in the manufacturing of the stuff China makes and exports?

Is this fair, considering so many American factories are outsourcing to other countries to reduce operating/overhead costs--and now it seems as if those companies and American consumers are going to have to absorb those costs once again?

From the article:

“It’s important that those who consume the products being made all around the world to the benefit of America — and it’s our own consumption activity that’s causing the emission of greenhouse gases, then quite frankly Americans need to pay for that,” Commerce Secretary Gary Locke told the American Chamber of Commerce in Shanghai.

http://blogs.wsj.com/environmentalcapital/2009/07/17/commerce-secretary-americans-need-to-pay-for-chinese-emissions

LoriKeet

Asked by LoriKeet at 7:23 AM on Jul. 20, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Wow! That's GREAT! I personally can't wait to be held responsible for the entire globe. . .

According to the article, China loves the idea. I'm guessing that they don't understand that when there is an infinite amount of product and prices rise, demand drops? You know, basic economics?
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 7:42 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• I for one am all for taxing companies for outsourcing so it will no longer be cheaper to outsource. I would love to see more jobs and products from the US.
    Ibelongtojesus

Answer by Ibelongtojesus at 7:38 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Gee, lovin....I'm sensing a bit of sarcasm in your post!!! LOL

I'm thinking I may need to go back and update my "How much worse could it possibly get?" post!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:48 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Lol, lori, just a BIT of sarcasm. . .

You might as well just keep that 'how much worse' post of yours open in an extra tab so can access it easily. . .
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 8:14 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• We should quite worrying so much about emissions. Global warming is a farce and the fraud that will be the end of capitalism and production in the US. In other words, the end of the US if we don't get rid of these stupid alarmists in government.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 8:33 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Arrrgh Thanks Lorikeet, if I wasn't having AC trouble it would be YOU who ruined my day. Like Americans need something else to be taxed for.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 9:03 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• This is an effect of a cause. If we get into this debate we need to start at the heart of the matter which, I believe begins with child labor laws, taxes, education among others.
    milmiracle

Answer by milmiracle at 9:15 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• No...
    But I also think that everything we buy at Walmart should be made HERE.
    Yoshi_Yoshi

Answer by Yoshi_Yoshi at 9:46 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• hmm...im gonna be honest & if it gets me bashed so be it.

if the stuff made in China is still cheaper than if it were made here, than i dont care about the tax. i think its sad that Americans have to pay the tax for all exports no matter what country is getting them, but if thats what China thinks is best, they should go for it. id rather pay a few extra cents per item b/c of China's tax then a few extra $1s per item b/c it was made in America. yes...we are that cheap haha
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:12 AM on Jul. 20, 2009