Should the flag receive special protection as an object because of its representative symbolism for the United States of America and the ideals that that nation holds?

Should flag burning as a form of protest be prohibited?

Is flag burning a national security or public safety threat?

Does flag burning not qualify as an element of "speech", and subsequently deserves no protection by principles of "freedom of speech"?

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 7:32 AM on Jul. 20, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I think that the flag is a symbol of everything our country has worked for... BUT just b/c it's a symbol doesn't mean that everything would fall apart without it. I'm a Christian & if someone were to burn a cross in protest I would but hurt, yes, but that is their right and it does NOT take away my beliefs & all that I stand for. Just as burning a flag doesn't take away my love for this country.
    lizafur13

Answer by lizafur13 at 11:16 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Flag burning is considered treason Under protest circumstances I can under stand it being done. No I don't believe it considered freedom of speech it falls under pride and disgracing the country and what we stand for

hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 7:38 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Or it's considered a national security problem
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 7:39 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• I meant oh sorry
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 7:40 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• I see it as only a symbol- a piece of fabric and I don't understand how your pride and love for your Country is based on a flag waving int he breeze. I served this Country in the military- that's how I showed my love and pride. Although I was forced to worship a piece of fabric like it was a god, it never meant anything to me. What meant something was the soldiers around me who were willing to fight and die for our freedoms and security- THAT is what Ameirca is all about.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 7:43 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• ihurtu I just want to be clear I agree with you I was just stating the facts as I was told by my recruiting officer
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 7:47 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Ah, those recruiting officers. I love the way they tell you only what you want to hear. I miss my Recruiter, he was a big buff guy with the last name Shirley lol... Shirley. Still cracks me up.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 7:54 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Burning the flag is the worst form of freedom abuse ever. Ask a pow how he feels upon seeing that flag for the first time in years ask a naturalized citizen what that flag means to them. It may be a piece of fabric but that piece of fabric symbolizes all the best parts of our country and Ill be damned if im gonna stand by and watch someone burn it. I grew up in the military during the cold war i cant tell you how many times my father came home from deployment and cried at the sight of his flag waving in the breeze the reminder of everything he was sacrificing for his children to have and everything he loves about this country. Its respect and whether you agree with the politics of this country the flag is a symbol that should be honored and respected
    elananme

Answer by elananme at 7:56 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• It's a piece of fabric, and should be legally treated as such.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 7:56 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• elananme, I understand, but I personally disagree. The land and the people represent the US for me. All I have to do is look around to be reminded of how great our Country is, I don't need an inaminate object to gaze upon to help me recall the past, present and future of our Nation.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 8:02 AM on Jul. 20, 2009