Is Libertarianism a sound political philosophy?

Libertarianism is a broad spectrum of political philosophies, each sharing the common overall priority of maximum limitation of government combined with optimum possible individual liberty. Its goals, though often varied in detail, prioritize freedom of speech and assembly, freedom of association, freedom to bear arms, freedom of and from religion, Press freedom, economic freedom, and freedom of ownership. It rejects the compulsions of socialism and communism so far as to uphold, at one end of the spectrum, private property, whether held on an individual or group basis. It promotes personal responsibility and self-organized charity, as opposed to welfare statism.

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 7:36 AM on Jul. 20, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• LoriKeet, I'm a firm supporter of 3rd party voting. You cannot let your fear of the candidate you don't like getting into office, or there will NEVER be a change in the voting/election process.

My old boss has the same philosphy, His goal was to get that candidate to (I think its ) 3% of the votes, then they get federal funding or something like that.

I think Colin Powell should run as an independent, if he did he could possibly get a good % of the vote and force a 3rd party platform to get the $$ and attention it deserves....

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 8:37 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• I believe it is. Truthfully I think that Libertarianism is probably the closest political philosophy to what our nation's founders had in mind.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 7:54 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• I agree vicesix, and I actually think this movement is on the rise. I've meet a lot of people who claim to be Libertarians lately.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 7:58 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• IhartU, I am meeting lots of those people too. Being a libertarian seems to have become very trendy as of late since it seems to have become decidedly uncool to proclaim oneself a Republican. Only time will tell if Libertarianism is truly a force to be reckoned with, or just another temporary bandwagon that some capricious American have jumped. [Let me state for the record before anyone get offended that I know that there are lots of committed Libertarians who have been involved with this political movement for years. I am not referring to those--I am talking about all the johnny-come-latelys]
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 8:03 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• I believe I have always been a Libertarian at heart, but for so many years the Republican party was the established party that was closer to my beliefs. After this past election, I have officially left the Republican party and am now registered as an Independent--working to support the Libertarian Party.

If the Libertarian Party becomes a "real contender" in national elections, I would like to be able to register as a LP registered voter. But, for the time being, voting 3rd party is really a vote for the Democratic candidate, and I certainly can't support that! (I HAVE voted for several LOCAL Democratic candidates, but on the national level, those candidates are not even close to my ideology!)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:24 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 8:29 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Basically a vote for libertairian turns into a vote for a democrat because its the republican who loses a vote.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 8:38 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• sweet-a-kins, I think it's 5% of the vote- which NO 3rd Party candiate reached in the last election. I think Nader had 1%...

carpy, I don't understand, are you saying only former Republicans would vote Libertarian? I know plenty of Democrats who are just as unhappy with their Party and if everyone could get together, get over the fear and simply vote 3rd party, we might change things for the better.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 8:43 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• It sounds sound and similar to what is already happening amongst the people before government is called in to intervene.
    milmiracle

Answer by milmiracle at 9:09 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• The majority of people who will vote libertarian are republican. The dems who quit voting democrat are likely to vote green party.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 9:20 AM on Jul. 20, 2009