Should Physical Education in schools be compulsory?

Every year, more and more parents complain to their children’s schools about PE; they believe that their children shouldn’t have to participate in physical activity if they don’t want to. Proponents of PE, however, believe that it is a crucial element of all-round schooling – and our society’s well-being.

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 7:39 AM on Jul. 20, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I have a tough time answering this one. On the one hand, no, I don't think it should be mandatory. My kids get plenty of exercise at home. I wish their school hours would be used more productively. On the other, PE is more important than ever because just as with many other issues, a lot of people aren't taking care of business on their own. In other words, many parents are NOT making certain that their children are getting enough physical activity. They are content to allow their kids to sit inside at the computer or playing video games all day. The rise in childhood obesity is staggering. Unfortunately, this is another area where government is having to pick up the slack for parents. It goes back to personal responsibility. If parents ensured their kids were active enough, then perhaps PE could be abolished and the schools could focus exclusively on math, reading and writing; God knows the US needs help in those areas.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 8:11 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• I do believe they should participate. I do not however agree that they should fail for not running the mile in time. Or for not participating in things they physically or health wise can't do. Nor do I believe they should be forced to dress out or shower if they wish not to some girls or just uncomfortable of doing so.

hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 7:44 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• I think so. I don't agree with a lot of things that the schools get involved with like BMI testing (I'm not sure if they still do it here in AR, but they were), but I don't think having PE elective is good either.
    Silvertears1275

Answer by Silvertears1275 at 7:48 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Yes absolutely pe should be mandatory but as the pp said partcipation and effort should be the only grade components i dont think they should be penalized for not being the best athlete as long as they show up and do their best at whatever the assignement is
    on a side note i think music and art should be valued just as much as sports and pe. its all important and should be valued and not be the first thing cut when budget cuts come around.
    elananme

Answer by elananme at 7:49 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• I failed gym class in high school every year. Why? Because I always ended up with guys that were A-holes in my class who made fun of other people, and I was not willing to be laughed at, so I didn't bother to even get dressed. I ended up in summer school FOR GYM every summer- which I passed because the class was full of other rejects like myself and it was not as uncomfortable. I also had to go to night school for gym in my senior year in order to graduate.

I think gym class is necessary (especially with the obecity rate of children) but I think starting in middle school, all PE classes should be segregated boy/girls. I for one don't want some horny 15 year old boy oogling my daughter's butt as they do toe-touches! I just think it would be more comfortable- but that's only because my own experience was pure hell.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 7:52 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• I for one don't want some horny 15 year old boy oogling my daughter's butt as they do toe-touches! I just think it would be more comfortable----------------------------------------------------------

Why do ASSUME that boys will be oogling your daughter. NOT all 15 year old boys are horny little devils.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:01 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• They aren't? Hmmm... are you telling me that if a girl bent over with her butt in the air during exercise or was jumping around playing volleyball- her boobies jiggling, there would be a straight, teenage boy who doesn't even glance over out of the corner of his eye? LOL... please.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 8:04 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• LOL anon 8:01. I have not met a 15-year old who wasn't a horny little devil. Some hide it better than others, but they're all a messbag of raging hormones at that age!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:05 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Why do ASSUME that boys will be oogling your daughter. NOT all 15 year old boys are horny little devils.
    They check out any girl they see no matter what that girl looks like or even if they like them . It's how they are. I'm guessing you have boys that is why you are getting defensive well I have a boy but I am not ignorant enough to think he wont be a horny little bastard at 15.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 8:12 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• I think Physical Education class is necessary, and SHOULD be included if not for encouraging children to eat healthy, learn new physical activities, and learn how to keep fit, but also to blow off steam and exercise their mental muscles as well! Boys especially need to be able to run around, and with recess being banned everywhere or limited to 15-20 minutes per day, I think CONSTRUCTIVE PE classes are necessary.

It's okay to "fail" but in a constructive way. Good PE classed encourage healthy competition and goal setting!

I find it ironic that many parents want the schools to feed and discipline their children, but not teach them to adopt healthy lifestyles, physical skills, team work and physical fitness!

I wish they would bring back the Presidential Physical Fitness Award program....took me from 3rd grade until 6th grade to meet all of the award requirements, but I was so proud of myself when I EARNED it! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:14 AM on Jul. 20, 2009