Can I breastfeed even though I am on Lexapro?

I haven't had my baby yet, but my doctor put me on lexapro for my depression. I was reading on the bottle that to ask your doctor if your going to breastfeed. I know that whatever I eat or drink can get passed to him. So can I still do it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:49 AM on Jul. 20, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I think this is something you should discuss with your doctor. They know the actual answer and its not just people on here saying do this or that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:05 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Zoloft is considered the safest breastfeeding drug. Lexapro is in the same family as celexa, and some babies have lost a bit of weight on it. Tell them you want a breastfeeding safe drug.

Celexa has a 4.3-16 nanogram/kg blood plasma level, but transfer rate is higher via milk. Use with caution and watch infant for side effects (per Hale, "There have been two cases of excessive somnolence, decreased feeding, and weight loss in breastfed infants.").
    From Dr Hales Breastfeeding and Mothers Milk
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 9:43 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Ummm I just looked up lexapro in pregnancy.  Please read beginning on page 12 where pregnancy is mentioned.

Excerpt: (page 13)  Neonates exposed to LEXAPRO and other SSRIs or SNRIs, late in the third trimester have
    developed complications requiring prolonged hospitalization, respiratory support, and tube
    feeding. Such complications can arise immediately upon delivery. Reported clinical findings
    have included respiratory distress, cyanosis, apnea, seizures, temperature instability, feeding
    difficulty, vomiting, hypoglycemia, hypotonia, hypertonia, hyperreflexia, tremor, jitteriness,
    irritability, and constant crying.

ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 9:50 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Zoloft is the only one approved for pregnancy and breastfeeding. I'm surprised your doctor let you stay on Lexapro while pregnant.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 10:08 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Your baby is getting more of the medication NOW, while you are pregnant then the baby will get through your milk. Yes, you can nurse your baby. However, I would see if yo can be switch to a different medication which has less possible side effects.
    hillmom

Answer by hillmom at 10:56 AM on Jul. 20, 2009