It's just art, why the offense?

2006 Hamid Bahrami
Earlier I posted a picture of Adam and Eve in a Renaissance era panting (looks like). There was an offense made of the couple nude with exposure to Eve's breasts.
The painting was not made in a sexual overtone, but to express religious philosophy. According to the Bible, Adam and Eve did not wear covering until they realized themselves through sin. Why are people offended by nudity, expecially when the context is biblical?

BlueSaphire

Asked by BlueSaphire at 8:11 AM on Jul. 20, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Because this country was founded by puritans who thought it a sin to smile and enjoy life and many people believe nudity equals sex no matter the context. too bad too their missing out on a lot of great art
    elananme

Answer by elananme at 8:15 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• well back in the day the Pope and other religious leaders added fig leaves and cut off male genital from art because they felt it was a sin. So don't blame the Puritans. It started with the Catholics.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 8:37 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• It's simply because now a days for most people if they can't find something to be offende at they just pic, an nudity, or imagination. For some being affended makes their life complete.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 8:42 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• some people are TOO moraly concerned. And maybe some woman are so insecure of themselves, that they cannot even look at a pair of breasts without feeling squeemish. I have an affinity for beauty...naked or not. It has no affect on me. People are so friggen ANAL!
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 8:47 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• It's funny because in Europe they allow nudity on television but they won't allow the kind of violence that we tolerate. I'd rather see a naked woman than somebody's head exploding! Not to mention our culture ties sex and violence together way too much for my taste. Seriously, I think most of the movies out today are written by a 13 year-old boy. "Then it blows up, he slaps the girl, and then they do it." That's fine, but a renaissance painting "OH NO! That is so inappropriate!" We clearly have our priorities on backwards.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:08 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• not everyone is/would be offended, but those who are offended are more likely to speak up, complain, and cry "oh my, i'm so offended"...while the rest of us normal people are sitting back enjoying a lovely peice of art and moving on:)
    citymama707

Answer by citymama707 at 9:34 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Pagirl71 - very nice! Bigotry, unveiled and out in the open. It's not PC to bash people of other races or religions...unless they are Catholic.

OP - I don't think I would have been offended by the drawing. The ones that do offend me are things like a crucifix in a bottle of urine (which someone did).
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 12:59 AM on Jul. 21, 2009