hello my son is 6 1/2 years old.He has Autism Spectrum PDD and ADHD. We are getting a puppy and were wondering if there is a place to train it as a therapy dog? we live close to rochester ny, can you please email me at wildfire14559@ yahoo.com with advice. Thank you so much Nanci

wildfire36

Asked by wildfire36 at 8:12 AM on Jul. 20, 2009 in Pets

• You could get in contact with organizations such as Generation Rescue. Hope this helps.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:22 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• I did a google search and come up with this number Petite Pets (716) 833-1859 205
    and this site
    http://pitbulltalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=93&p=83118
    hopefully it will help. Good luck!
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 8:23 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• not all dogs can be therapy dogs. I'd consider calling a place that trains them and go from there.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 8:25 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• I think usually you have to get a therapy dog from the trainer. You don't bring your dog to them. I agree with pagirl71, contact the place first and find out what their policies are.

Have you asked any of his doctors or other practitioners about this? They may have some info.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 8:36 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• some dogs r just naturals about being therputic they also cost a lot of money so i would call a therpy place first befor u get a dog and see if they would consider traing a dog from u my fil and mil use to train eye dogs...they animale is well worth the money u spend on or the training.
    rainmommy

Answer by rainmommy at 9:01 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• A therapy dog is trained by the owner while a service dog is trained by a professional handler. There is a big difference between the two certifications as a service dog provides a service for a specific individual's needs (ex: seeing eye or the physically impaired). Which are you looking for in a dog. Certain breeds do better than others. All our dogs are certified therapy dogs through our local kennel club and TDI. If you need more info please let me know and I will clarify and put you in touch with the correct persons. Good luck.

equusvetgal

Answer by equusvetgal at 8:27 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• I am training my service dog myself. He is to help with my hearing loss as well as my 12 year old son who has autism.Kyle gets upset and runs and I can no longer hold him back. The pup is being trained as urban traking as well as rural. Drop me a message if you want to know more.
    ShellyOtterkin

Answer by ShellyOtterkin at 11:10 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Instead of getting a puppy and trying to train it (that has HARD WORK stamped all over it!), I would look into getting an adult dog with a gentle disposition and going from there.

I know that service dogs who don't make the cut (don't pass all the tests to become an aid dog) can be purchased as very well-trained pets, though I don't know how long the wait list is.
    Mousuke

Answer by Mousuke at 2:05 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• As I stated before you must be careful in your selection of dog as not every dog will do the type of work you want it too. Not all dogs will track. The above mentioned "urban tracking" was a sport designed by the UKC to promote for titles. The AKC has its' own program for working dogs and so on. A genuinely trained tracking dog will be able to track all terrains with no difficulty. This I know first hand as we have police dogs (husband is a Federal Marshall) and work all of our dogs. Our dogs have SCH lll titles as well as police tracking certifications. From those titles they are split into Narcotics/Bomb/Cadaver/ and live trace dogs.

Exactly what are your requirements with regards to this potential dog and your child? It will help to narrow the type of dog you will require.

equusvetgal

Answer by equusvetgal at 9:30 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• www.cpt-training.com they train the dog you pick out. It is a pretty penny. They do need to have a high retreive drive to be a service dog for autisic kids. That is what Im doing. I do need to send thepup out to get trained tho. It will be worth it. They do other type of training as well. There is a place there in NY that does traning. check out www.deltasociety.org
    Baby4us09

Answer by Baby4us09 at 7:31 PM on Nov. 18, 2009