I started introducing solid food after 4 months to my baby. I can't get her to eat any solid food and she is 7 months old now. What do I do? I am very warried.

I started with rice cerial for the month 4. the 5th month I introduced barly and brown rice .and the I starte on single vegies . Now she is 7 months and she wont even let me get any food near her

t_1963

Asked by t_1963 at 8:23 AM on Jul. 20, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Some babies don't even start solids untill 6 months. Many breastfeeding organizations will recommend this. my child didn't start until between 6-7 months. It started out slow, but then he took off after about a month or so.

Let your baby hold another spoon or toy while feeding, this really works to either distract them if they want to grab the spoon, or if they're not into the whole eating them.

Feed small amounts 3-4 times daily to get your little one used to it. Once a day really isn't enough for learning to eat to take place.

If baby doesn't like veggies, you can always mix some fruit in with veg. Sounds gross, but my little one loved it. I didn't worry about the old wise tale about feeding veggies before fruit (along with many of my fiends) and our kids eat a varitety of veggies to this day.

I also made my own baby food with organice fruits and veg. pureed. The varity and taste is great. Avacado & peaches-mm
    citymama707

Answer by citymama707 at 9:12 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Will she eat things like gerber puffs or anything? Around this age they start to want to do everything themselves. SO if you haven't started on things like that and soft table foods she can pick up I would try that.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:24 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• You follow her cues.
    Something has made her upset and feel like she has no control. Maybe you've been too pushy with the "open up, one more bite" trap so many of us fall into. Maybe you pushed her through the food types too quickly. Maybe she's just hit a stubborn spot. There's no way to tell.

But the best way out of the spot you are stuck in is to listen to her wishes. Let her lead the way. She is getting plenty of nutrition from her milk or formula. Back off on the solids. Put her cereal on her tray and let her play with it. Don't worry if she doesn't eat any. Or put a couple spoonfuls of fruit or veggie food on her tray. Again, let her smear it around as much as she wants, let her lick her fingers, mash it in her hair. Yes, it's messy. But you are letting her relearn to love food, to be excited about new tastes and textures. Let her go at her pace.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:24 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• well your baby is cunfussed now you let the baby go into soild foods way to early slow down every thing will be alright let the baby grow at her own pase just make sure its helathy
    Anonymous

• Don't listen about starting foods way to early. My son was on cereal at 2 weeks old and all tablefood by 8 months and he was not confused and had no problems. Your child could just not like the taste and texture of the babyfood. Try mashing up the foods you are eating, potatoes, spaghetti, softer foods. You have to keep trying, some kids just don't like the textures. Let her help feed herself, it will be messy but that is ok. Foods she can pick up and feed herself are good too. As always, just watch for allergies and choking.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 6:10 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• She may have went tooo long without solid foods and now can't et used to it. I started my babies out on the rice ceral and fruit baby foods at 4 weeks old. The formula alone was not filling them up.
    toyota

Answer by toyota at 8:22 AM on Jul. 21, 2009