Christians: Has God kicked you in the butt lately?

He sure did me, LOL.

Last week was AWFUL for me - things happened that I really didn't need to happen, things DIDN'T happen that I was relying on, kids had misbehavior problems like you wouldn't believe, we had a stomach flu run through the family (it's still not done yet . . . ) You name it - I felt like I was having a Job week, truly.

This morning, I was reading my bible and it hit me - God was teaching me thankfulness last week. Here lately, I've been so caught up in the "I have nots" that I completely forgot to look at what I HAVE and to be thankful.

God kicks me in the butt sometimes to get my attention, and last week was a doozy, LOL. So tell me, has God kicked YOU in the butt lately?

jennijune_21

Asked by jennijune_21 at 8:24 AM on Jul. 20, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• hmmm...that's interesting. it's sometimes hard to know when it's God kicking you in the butt or the devil tempting you to do ungodly things. like beating the kids in those situations.
    my perceptions are a little different i guess, over the years i've learned to perceive occurrences as just occurrences and not label them as good or bad but rather "just are". someone on the outside could have said easily, that i too had a terrible week last week, but in reality it was what it was and there's nothing more to that.
    i'll spend this week correcting last weeks problems, and move on, instead of labeling it as God kicking me in the butt.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 9:00 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• yup
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 9:35 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Great attitude! He's been making sure we count our blessings lately as well. I try to keep that in mind when we are going through a rough spot and we do a lot of praying. It sure does make things like that a whole lot easier to go through if you know that He's there with you and that something good is going to come of it all. It's perfectly ok to label those things what you want, you went through it, you know how you feel now that you are at the end of it and if that's closer to God, then obviously that was part of the whole point.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:58 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• God has never "kicked me in the butt' He has however allowed me to go through test and trials to teach me that all things work together for the good according to his purpose.
    ptomom678

Answer by ptomom678 at 3:21 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• I get "whoopings" from Him every now and then. PTO, the Lord chastens those He loves. (Hebrews 12:6) Sometimes the things we go through aren't trials and tribulations, but the result of seeds we have sown.(Galatians 6:7)
    I had a preacher explain it in a funny way that has stuck in my head: the troubles we go through are either "crosses" or "crops". Crosses are those things that "just happen" through no fault of our own. Crops are the results of things we have done. For instance: if my child grows up disrespectful to adults, even myself, but I never taught him any better----that's not a cross, but a crop. If I am diagnosed with a genetic illness---that's a cross to bear. If I choose to have my hair done with my last $100 instead of paying my electric bill, then I'm going to reap a dark (and HOT!) house.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 6:18 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• . PTO, the Lord chastens those He loves. (Hebrews 12:6)

The Lord does chastens when you are out of order. There are some unpleasant situations that may befall us because of our disobedience. Then there are times when he test and trys our faith to gain a deeper knowledge of him. Romans 8:28, James 1:12. Test and trials are also a way to blessings to come if we learn to endure and it will bring about patience.
    ptomom678

Answer by ptomom678 at 7:03 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Well I don't know if I would have described it that particular way but yes He does discipline me quite regularly...cause I sure need it. I tend to call it God nudges, sometimes God shoves.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 12:26 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Last month we didnt have our rent in time, so i prayed and thought i had let it go. I said if it gets paid it gets paid. If not, OH WELL. ...well i got it half right. I let my thoughts wonder and let them get negative. I was full of pitty and strongly with the "whatever attitude"..I could have trusted God more.Sure enough, we got it. ...( i was so ashamed) ..

So ... the next week, my landlord calls me And says she is making everyone take down the satellite dishes from her roofs. Well, we havea 2 yr contract. So to break it, it was going to cost me $200.
    This time, i gave in. I said okay Father, i have to resepect the ' laws of the land', somehow , i will come up with the money...The day before i was going to cancel my contract, landords calls and says " Amber, you dont need to take it off, we really like you, and we know you cant afford to break your contract, so dont worry about it."...this all turned out a blesssing.
    aMbeR012005

Answer by aMbeR012005 at 5:12 PM on Jul. 22, 2009