All Faith Discussion: Do you set aside special time for your faith?

Do you read your bible, pray, do ritual, call the quarters, or anything else pertaining to your faith at one specific time every day? Do you have to set aside this time? Do you have to make special arrangements in order to have this time daily?

If you are an atheist/satanist, do you take time out of every day to admire the world and to reflect on life?

jennijune_21

Asked by jennijune_21 at 8:26 AM on Jul. 20, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I don't have a specific time, but I do try to read from a text (Bible, Quran, Tao, etc) often, and I do read religious literature (books on world religions, for example - right now I'm reading A History of God by Karen Armstrong). I talk with my husband about religion at least once a day (although its usually more often than just once) and spend time in religious groups on here talking about religion (although the groups have been a tad slower lately, or perhaps its just because I've been a little busier and therefore not quite as interested).
    I'm the kind of person, though, who tries to feel God/think of God every moment and bring Him into my everyday life, so instead of having one set time I try to cultivate my relationship with Him and my understanding of Him throughout the day.
    =)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 8:32 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• my ol man prays every morning before he gets out of bed. it seems to work for him. i try to take about 20 minutes at 4pm every day just before the mad rush between getting 3 kids to football, gymnastics and other errands. trying to wait till the end of the day just caused me to fall asleep after saying " Dear God, it's me again...." :)
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:53 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• im a satanist, and i dont really set time aside, i just do my rituals at night when everyone else is in bed.

necro1134

Answer by necro1134 at 9:14 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Absolutely! That's how I start every morning. My day is not complete till I spend time in God's word,and presence. I love being able to start my days that way. God is Good!
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 9:47 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• I usually do some reading and research whenever I feel compelled... which is almost every day. The only time that I have specifically put aside is at night when I'm laying in my bed to pray... ask for forgiveness and give thanks for all of my blessings.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:04 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• When every one is in bed i do my thing. Chit Chat with the mother and father and pray and such. I also like to listen to my pagan pod casts it helps me unwind and go to bed

autumnsunris113

Answer by autumnsunris113 at 10:18 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• I do not set aside time for any kind of ritual, nor do I do something every day. I would say I do something "formal" about once a week, but most days include some informal reflection. I have never found the need to schedule time for my spiritual life.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 10:48 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• No, but I need to.
    I have just let life get in the way and I need to slow it down a bit.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 11:29 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Nope.

I commune with God through my thoughts throughout the day, making sure to take special notice of his interventions in my life throughout the day and thanking him for them. I read the Bible and other books and study materials during downtimes when my son is sleeping and I spend other times volunteering at church and doing church activities. My faith is about a lifestyle, not blocks of time that I set aside :-)
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 12:29 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• we do it almost on a daily basis meaning that every day if we pray then that happens and when we have family home evening and if see our sisters in the ward. go to church on sundays or through a temple session every two weeks. we stand fast to our faith in incorporate it into our daily lives as much as possible.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 12:57 PM on Jul. 20, 2009