How can I get My 3yr old to sleep in her bed and stay asleep for the night?

Hi ever since I took my daughters crib down her sleeping habits have changed. She use to take a 3-4 hr nap then in bed by 7 and would sleep till 7-8 a.m. Now, if I get her to fall asleep in her bed she always wakes up, and I bring her in my bed. Then there is some nights where she will not fall asleep till I go to bed and thats because I then bring her in my bed because its almost midnight. Please help any suggestions would help. Thankyou

catseyez

Asked by catseyez at 8:34 AM on Jul. 20, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• my dd just turned 3 today :) and she has been in her own bed since she was 2, my husband or i have to sit in her bedroom floor until she falls asleep, she still dosen't sleep all night, but when she wakes up all she wants is something to drink so i take her something the tell her "goodnight, i love you ,see you in the morning, mommy is going back to bed." she dosen't get up and i don't let her come in my room unless she had a bad dream or is really scared.... your dd will contiune this if you let her keep coming to your bed
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 8:49 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• I have a 3 & 5 year old My girls like sleeping in our bed and I just found out what works for us. Depening on their attitude depends when they go to be anywhere between 8pm-9pm. I then just take them in their room and My husband and I both sit with them until they fell asleep and believe me at the start I never thought they would go to sleep but they did after like an hour and a half; now they fall asleep much easier and faster we don't sit with them the whole time now. Wel give them a direction like go get your pjs on now because when I get out of the shower you need to be in your pjsor else your not going to be happy and of course they were not in their pjs the first night that was said to them so the had to go lay down right then which it was 8:20pm in their own beds and they were not happy but like I told them then you both need to start listening and then you will get to do more things you want and like to do.
    Tdaycare6678

Answer by Tdaycare6678 at 8:54 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Tough love.

The more tired she gets, the harder it will be for her to relax and sleep. And the more you give in to her wishes, the more ingrained the habit.

Try taking everything out of her room and find a way to confine her to her room. That could be as simple as a traveler's door alarm that lets you know if she opens her door. And yes - her door should be closed. That is much safer in a fire (it keeps smoke and heat out of her room, stops the fire from spreading into her room as quickly) and it keeps your late evening noise out of her room.

I read a great quote about this age...
    A young child is like the night watchman. She has to check the doors but she doesn't want to find any open.
    She is testing your rules and the boundaries. And you keep showing her tons of loop holes and exceptions.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:55 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• that is a great question i have a 2 year old that does the same thing
    fancyface09

Answer by fancyface09 at 1:36 PM on Jul. 20, 2009