H.R. 1388

Does it really allocate $20 million to the immagration of Hamas terrorists into our country?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:04 AM on Jul. 20, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Where are you getting your information?  Bill 1388 is the Obama-Kennedy YOUTH CORPS....now where have I heard about forced participation in volunteerism?!

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/billtext.xpd?bill=h111-1388

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:10 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• No its not true.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 9:11 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Lori- Forced volunteerism? Ain't that a contradiction? LOL

BlueCollarMama

Answer by BlueCollarMama at 9:20 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• This bill "authorizes a dramatic funding increase for AmeriCorps and other volunteer programs, and the creation of new programs for seniors and veterans. It establishes a goal of expanding from 75,000 government-supported volunteers to 250,000, and would increase education funding and establish a summer volunteer program for students, paying $500 (which would be applied to college costs) to high-school and middle-school student who participate." http://www.opencongress.org/bill/111-h1388/show

I don't see anything about this that makes the service mandatory. Only that it aims to draw more participants by providing school funding for volunteer work. I don't really see what's wrong with that...

beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:22 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• I wouldn't know about the exact number, however wouldn't doubt it, due to other things and laws that are already in effect which only serve to deteriorate and decay the country as a whole.
    milmiracle

Answer by milmiracle at 9:24 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• http://www.factcheck.org/askfactcheck/was_hr_1388_passed_behind_our_backs.html

- this is a link that debunks both claims, the one about Hamas AND the one about FORCED volunteerism.

"Q: Is Congress creating a mandatory public service system? Are participants not allowed to go to church?

A: The national service bill does not mandate that youth must participate nor does it forbid anyone who does participate from going to church."

AND:

"Q: Did Obama pay for Hamas-affiliated terrorists to emigrate to the United States?

A: This claim is false. The president's memorandum to the State Department would pay for refugee assistance in Gaza, not for transporting anyone to the U.S.

Again, consult the full article for more on the Hamas falsehood."
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:25 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• bluecollar-- Yes! I believe the word you're loking for is "oxymoron!" LOL

Beckcorc... Have you read these sections of the bill?

"Section 6104, directs a committee to study: "The effect on the Nation, on those who serve, and on the families of those who serve, if all individuals in the United States were expected to perform national service or were required to perform a certain amount of national service."

http://www.pressdemocrat.com/article/20090325/OPINION/903250315/1070?Title=CLOSE-TO-HOME-How-can-volunteerism-in-America-be-mandatory-

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:29 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Further, even though my children have mild autism, and are highly capable of learning right from wrong, I have already had my 7 year old in cub scouts--learning how to be a good citizen, and he will be receiving his First Holy Communion next spring.

My older one also helps me at the Food Bank where I volunteer!

I am not against "helping your fellow man," I AM against the government taking away my choices as to where, how much MY children are to volunteer, and which religion I CHOOSE to have them learn.

When my children are 18, and/or capable of making informed decisions on their own, they can choose their religion, or no religion at all, they can choose to volunteer, or not volunteer at all, etc.
    While I am legally responsible for them, they will learn "life skills" from me, our extended family, school, and our Church!

Maybe other families need to learn how to G.I.V.E back, but I don't!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:35 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• See I thought FactCheck was liberally biased
    BlueCollarMama

Answer by BlueCollarMama at 9:45 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• LOL For once LoriKeet is right. OP please stop reading chain emails.

SRiveroC

Answer by SRiveroC at 10:04 AM on Jul. 20, 2009