I would like to sleep in every now and then; am I wrong?

I am a very light sleeper and on a typical day I will hear the babies and wake up with them and let my SO sleep in. The babies wake up around 7, sometimes as early as 6. I am the one working since he is laid off and has been for several months now. I only work part time. My issue is...he claims to never hears the babies and I have some nerve to wake him up when I am already awake. He would rather both of us get up and tend to the babies then just him waking up. I get so irritated because I explain to him just because I am a light sleeper does not mean I should be the designated waker upper. What is your opinion? Am I entitled to sleep in every now and then? And if so how do you guys work it out? Thanks

AmyLynn5398

Asked by AmyLynn5398 at 9:49 AM on Jul. 20, 2009 in Relationships

• go get a baby monitor, put it next to his ear & "pretend" you don't hear the baby crying. Sorry, but he is being a bit selfish. It's OK for you to get up alone, but not him? Ya, you need to nip that in the bud. He is being lazy.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:56 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• You totally have the right to sleep in. What me and my hubby do is take turns. We have a 4 month old who sometimes gets up at night, and sometimes doesn't. But whoever's turn it is gets up if she gets up. Then on weekends whoever got up with her gets to sleep in. Also I let him take naps on weekends with the kids so he usually lets me sleep in. I agree with the first poster about getting a baby moniter and "pretending" not to hear the kids. I've done it. I've even pretended to be PMSing or not feeling good so he would get up with them. It taught him that it's hard to do every day and it's just easier to take turns. After all, he's not working, you are.
    Hannah22

Answer by Hannah22 at 10:02 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• I have this problem from time to time. I think he got up once with our child? I left the monitor down there and just went back to sleep...or tried. My SO sleeps like a rock though. A train could cruise through the living room and he wouldn't have a clue
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:10 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• My situation was different because my DH suffers from horrible insomnia. He can take hours to fall back asleep if woken up. Plus since I am a SAHM, and he works 60 plus hours a week, I have no problem getting up with the kids myself. I can always declare a "pajama day" at home, and spend the day being lazy.
    However, if I worked and he didn't... I would expect him to get up.
    say_tay

Answer by say_tay at 10:14 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Honey, you gave up your right to sleep in the day you gave birth and so did he, no matter if he likes it or not. Both of you should get up when the kids wake up, period.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 10:25 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• He needs to get his ass out of bed and take care of those babies he helped make. He doesn't even have a job and has the nerve to tell you that! Errrrrr.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 10:59 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Our baby isn't born yet, but we've already agreed that once she's older - past breastfeeding and sleeping through the night, then we're going to take turns on the weekends. One day he'll get up early and one day I'll get up early. Seems fair to us.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 11:55 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• i get to sleep in every Saturday morning....and on Sundays my hubby does...he works all week, and i stay with our son and soon to be new baby boy in 25 days.....he isnt good with new borns.....so for 6 months i wont be getting that extra 2 hours of sleep....hell i wont be getting any....lol....but he will help out with our 2 year old...so i always appreciate that

Mamaof2boys0709

Answer by Mamaof2boys0709 at 12:25 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• well my DH is the worker while I stay home, but saturdays are his day to sleep in and sunday are mine. My son is two, so now he gets out of bed and comes into our room so it wakes us both up, and we each know if its our day or not. But I think since your the worker, your SO should be ok with waking up with your kids once in a while.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 12:47 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• You know what...why is it when you ask a simple question there are people out there that have such negative answer. I took offense to the person saying that when I had kids deal with it, you lost the right to sleep. I was a single mother for 10 years and had NO help and NEVER was able to sleep in once unless my child slept in the day. And I loved being a mother and and happily gave up my right to sleep in. However, I am not alone anymore and i have twins that demand much more from a parent and I feel it is unfair if the one parent is taking up the slack. THat is what I wanted to know...am I fair to ask more from my SO. I love my kids and love waking up to them. It is not them I have the issue with it is my SO.
    AmyLynn5398

Answer by AmyLynn5398 at 1:22 PM on Jul. 20, 2009