• In the Spotlight:

Yard sale advice/ideas

I'm thinking about having a yard sale this week. Any quick ideas to make it easier/make more money?

Momincollege23

Asked by Momincollege23 at 9:55 AM on Jul. 20, 2009 in Home & Garden

• To make it easier don't label each item, just put into piles those that are $1/each, $2/each/$.50 each etc...
    finallyamom40

Answer by finallyamom40 at 10:00 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• do not price too high less things will sell price low and people will buy things they would not usually think to but and when others are buying and walking away with bags of stuff others will get into the buying mood say hello to everyone that shows up don't need to hover, but acknowledge even if busy with others

boredmom44

Answer by boredmom44 at 10:20 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• And, when you make your piles/tables, ask for DOUBLE what you're willing to agree to! If you'll take a $1 for something, label it as $2. Some people will haggle, but I've found, many will just pay the asking price, or meet you halfway = more money than you hoped for!

Also place larger items/bigger ticket items like furniture or what you have the MOST of (clothes/toys/books) closest to the street to "advertise" what you most want to get rid of! Keep more expensive/fragile things on a table near where you will be sitting, so they don't "walk away" or break! Keep like age group items/related things near each other--helps with impulse buys!

I set up three tables in a "U-shape" with one table blocking the entrance to my garage for the more valuable/fragile things, a table for kids stuff and the other for household things. Use the ground/grass around the tables for large items. Fold clothes so sizes are easy to read.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 10:21 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Check out yardsalequeen.com for all kinds of tips and ideas. Good luck!
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 10:22 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Play music in the background. Just not any "booty" jams or heavy metal. Country and pop usually do the trick. People will stick around longer. Do you have kids? They can set up a lemonade stand or sell cookies. Don't know about your area, but folks around here like to bargain like crazy. Be ready to hear lower offers. DON'T do the piles of stuff! If you can, put clothes on hangers (rope tied to a couple of trees) and keep other items up off the ground. I hate going to yard sales that have their things for sale on the ground or a spread out blanket. Tables work great. If you're selling jewelry, display it near you (you'd be surprised to know how often people will steal it), maybe on a nice piece of black velvet. If it's hot out, set up a box fan or two - just be careful with the cords. Say hello to every shopper, but don't hover.

Good luck!
    happy1mom

Answer by happy1mom at 10:24 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• One yard sale I had a TON o f baby/toddler clothes to get rid of, sales were slow at first, so I went inside, grabbed about 30+ plastic grocery bags, and offered a "Bag Sale" All the clothes you could REASONABLY fit in a plastic bag for $5...worked like a charm, and I got rid of EVERYTHING-many people didn't even fill up or use the bags--just took a few items and gave me the $5! :o)

Oh, and don;t forget to have about $50 in singles and 1 or 2 rolls of quarters to start the day...you'll get some people early in the morning who'll give you a $20 bill for $1 or $2 worth of items!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 10:26 AM on Jul. 20, 2009