How would you discipline your 4YO for biting a sibling?

This has happened maybe 3 times in the last year.

gramsmom

Asked by gramsmom at 10:11 AM on Jul. 20, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I use time outs in combination with taking a favorite toy away for serious offenses. Really important is getting down on their level, looking in their eyes and telling them why they're getting punished, both before and after the punishment. If these things don't work, try putting her in her room for a few minutes with the door shut. And explain really clearly before and after why you're doing it.

I don't do this every day myself, but it works: At the beginning of the day and in the afternoon, review the rules of the house with your kids and tell them what will happen if they don't follow them. Especially the younger ones, I think they sometimes just forget about the consequences.
    3shugars

Answer by 3shugars at 4:18 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• spank her, if that didn't work, smack her in the mouth
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:12 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• The most evective way is to bite back not hard enough to leave a mark just hard enough to get the point.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 10:31 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Wow! Thanks for the answers, but I couldn't do either of those things to her... I was hoping for a much less physical approach.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 10:43 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• My 3 yo bite my 6 yo little sister while they were at my grandmas so my grandma grabbed her arm and bit her enough to get the point across and she has never bit again. My aunt done the same thing with my cousin when she was little and bit her mom.
    Anonymous

• smack in the face works here!
    Anonymous