Should my son be talking more?

My son will be 2 in October and I am not sure if he is talking as much as he should be. He says a few sentence such as... I want to see it, I want juice, and I Don't want it. He also says Thank you, Happy birthday and a couple other two work statements. My problem is, I always compare him to our neice. She was talking all sorts of sentences by her 2nd birthday and has an amazing vocabulary. I know she is very advanced for her age but I was hoping by his second birthday be would be talking farely well. Do you think he will pick up alot more sentences in the next 3 months?

Tracy_d3

Asked by Tracy_d3 at 10:12 AM on Jul. 20, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Oh no! he's doing great if he's talking in sentances. A lot of times girl advance earlier in the vocabulary area before boys. My son will be 2 on NOv and he's talking up a storm lately but he still only has a few sentances he will say otherwise he is still 1 or 2 words at a time. My niece was in fulll talking mode as well at this age and I did tons of comparing also but he's good!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 10:14 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Wow , my son talked WAY more than that at that age. But wait 3 months to see if he picks up , if not maybe talk to a dr?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:21 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• My doctor actually said he is above average but I just worried because of my neice. I just recently became a stay at home mom and he is now repeating everything but just not forming sentences.
    Tracy_d3

Answer by Tracy_d3 at 10:28 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Kids learn at their own pase my almost 2 year old talks really well for his asge but we have a friend who is they same age that doesn' hardly talk at all i think its okay as long as he saying something he's fine he will catch on to it d on't worry
    RCPerry511

Answer by RCPerry511 at 11:01 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Don't ever compare your child to another. Your toddler sounds perfectly fine to me.
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 11:03 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• He sounds ok to me. My son was not talking hardly at all when he was 2 and ended up in a special preschool for language delays. If he is stringing words together then he is fine
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 11:15 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• He sounds fine. By 24 months, doctors like to see 2 word phrases. He's got that and more. Relax.
    Yes, she's a chatter box. Girls frequently are. You son is doing just fine.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:12 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Thank you... I feel much better hearing your responses!
    Tracy_d3

Answer by Tracy_d3 at 1:07 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Ok, my son hardly has two word sentances and his words are not even all that clear yet. Our doctor says he is where he should be. I think we all just worry. For the record, my son is also going to be 2 in October, so congratulations....october 2007 babies ROCK! :)
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 4:57 PM on Jul. 20, 2009