my german shepherd again...

she is a nice dog.territorial though and scary looking.we put her outside on herd lead which is about 30 ft.we go out with her so shes not there alone.my thinking is that she is not(as ceaser says)socialized..actually i cant tell if she is or isnt but she has her moments.how do you go about socializing a dog?or how do you know if thats just her personality?

nana77500

Asked by nana77500 at 10:13 AM on Jul. 20, 2009 in Pets

• Sounds like to me that she is just not socialized enough. Try taking her to the dog park if you have one, or a regular park. Make sure to watch her at all times, and keep on leash until you are sure how she will react. Also, try to talk some of you friends with dogs, etc, who have a nice easy temperament to come around. Feed the dog treats and give it lots of petting during this, and see how she reacts. The only way to really train a dog to be socialized is to do just that! Put her around as many different people as possible, and praise her for good behavior, whichever way you usually reward her (some people use treats, some use petting, etc). I had a dog that was VERY not socialized and we had to work with her for weeks before she would calm down around strangers. She was extremely aggressive for a while, and finally calmed down. Feel free to msg me with any questions if you want and Good Luck! :)
    Emuu

Answer by Emuu at 10:55 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• if your watch cesar then you should be able to learn how to socialize your dog and learn her signals to tell what going on in her head.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 12:53 PM on Jul. 20, 2009