Suggestions for starting sippy's and sitting up?

My DS is 6 and a half months and he isn't sitting up on his own. The dr says the average baby is sitting up by now. I need help cause he won't hardly push up on his arms when he's on his tummy. He sits up pretty good with help. Also i've been trying the sippy but he seems to think its a toy and throws it,lol . I know he'll get it but i just want some ideas to help move the process along. I appreciate any advice. thanks

kelka24

Asked by kelka24 at 10:13 AM on Jul. 20, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I switched my sons from their bottles to a sippy cup when they were close to being one. Then once they learned how to use it, I stopped using the bottle. I would definitely wait until he is sitting up, since that is how the cups work best, like when he is in a high chair.
    almemoore

Answer by almemoore at 10:16 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• He eats in his high chair. he sits up in that but he just doesn't sit up with out support.
    kelka24

Answer by kelka24 at 10:30 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• You can't make him sit up. He's just either not interested or not strong enough yet. That's fine. All babies develop at their own pace. As for the sippy,you can just skip it. DD was never a fan. She barely uses them now at almost 2 yrs old. She drinks from regular straw cups. They're too similar to bottles which is bad for oral development.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 11:12 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• He isn't ready so wait a month or 2. Do you have one of those boppy things he can sit against? Give him help sitting up by putting him on the floor in front of you. This will help strengthen his back muscles.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 11:13 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Lots of tummy time will build muscles. An exersaucer or jumperoo will also help. As those muscles get stronger, he'll be able to sit without support.

For the sippy cup, you just keep offering them. Right now, it's a toy. That's normal. He'll figure them out with time. If he hasn't figured them out by 14 months, then you can worry.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:11 PM on Jul. 20, 2009