Walking.. and shoes??

Cheyenne took her first steps about a month ago.. but hasn't really started trying to walk . This weekend i bought her some soft sole shoes and it seemed to make her very aware of her feet and that she could walk on them!!! She doesn't do very well in her shoes - but as soon as you take them off - she walks all over (for awhile until the "feeling" wears off)
What are your thoughts? With or without shoes? She is almost 11 months old - and this is the first time i have put shoes on her- she usually doesn't even keep socks on.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:44 AM on Jul. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• now that she's taking steps i would get shoes for her. i never had shoes on my kids before they started walking but, the minute they did i was out at walmart buying hard soled shoes. she needs 2 get used 2 the hard soles and yes it's going 2 take time 4 her 2 figure it out but............she'll get used 2 it.
    mominneed_27

Answer by mominneed_27 at 11:07 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• I rarely put shoes on my 17month old because she is still not walking. I do have the soft sole shoes, so when we go to a park or somewhere outside I put them on her. I love the soft soles though, because they can still feel to learn to walk as opposed to the hard soles. I'd say if she likes them on, and will walk with them on, let her wear them! Besides, shoes can look so adorable!!!
    avpriddis

Answer by avpriddis at 10:47 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Bare is best for a beginner, but the soft soles are great for when their feet need a little protection.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:51 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• i got "walking shoes" for my dd when she was ready to walk, they are simple shoes that are high tops and not real soft soles. they helped her a lot. we got hers at ron and nitas and the people working there knew what they were talking about so that helped :) good luck
    lilysmommy23

Answer by lilysmommy23 at 10:54 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• let her walk with just one on if it will encouage her, the maybe she will try to walk more and walkin with just one will balance her out since she'll have one bare foot
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:55 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• I started putting those white high-topped shoes on my son as soon as he started walking around by holding on to things, around 7 months. He didn't wear them 24/7 but maybe an hour or 2 out of the day. I really believe that it helped him learn to walk faster. He was walking completely on his own right at 10 months.
    HisMommySince07

Answer by HisMommySince07 at 11:00 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• When my son first started walking he was barefoot. Shoes made him trip and hurt himself. Now that he is really good at walking we have started putting shoes on him and he does fine in them.
    Some of his shoes have soft bottoms and some hard but if the hard soled ones are too chunky he trips. He own's tons of shoes because he has a cousin that is a few months older so we get to try out all different kinds.
    Our favorites- Stride Rite that we got second hand, some soft bottom ones we got at Babies R Us.. . Koala Kraft (or something like that)
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:11 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Inside = barefoot. Now and until she's old enough to choose to put her own shoes on.

Outside = soft soled shoes for now if you are going to the park but barefoot is fine for running to the mailbox and playing in the grass provided the ground isn't so hot you could fry an egg. Once she's walking well and you let her walk instead of ride in the stroller or let her walk out shopping, she will need shoes. Make sure they fit (a child's shoe store can size her even if you don't buy anything there) and make sure they are FLEXIBLE. Would you like to walk with a piece of wood strapped to your foot? Of course not. If you can't easily bend the shoe with your hand, she won't be able to bend it either. And low top is best. She needs to build up ankle muscles.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:49 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Barefoot is best, but when needed (weather, outside, etc) soft soles are fine.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 12:43 PM on Jul. 20, 2009