School clothes for my kindergartener -- my dad thinks it was too over the top! What do you think?

My dad wanted to see my sons school clothes that i had gotten last week,so we went over and started to unload...took out piles on top of piles of clothes , BOXES of shoes .. and his wife asked to see the recipts ... so i siad ok w/e and let her ... she and my dad were shocked to see i spent 150$ on shoes , 600$ in 1 store, 250$ in another and 400$ in another ... and they noticed there wasnt alot of jeans and long sleves and things for winter ... i told them we were going winter shopping later ... and they said it was too over the top to spend THAT much for spring/summer clothes that he wont really get to wear bc of the weather changing soon after he starts school.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:56 AM on Jul. 20, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I say if you want to go right ahead -- and if you have the funds , do so! Especially if he's picking out his clothes. (i bet that is just TOO cute! LOL) My BF recently had to go buy all new work clothes bc they changed the dress code , like 2 months AFTER we bought these clothes! So we had went to Maryland to these outlets and got him Polos and dress pants , we went back to his moms house who lives near the outlets and seen how much it all came too , it was like 2000+ ... but when we looked at the bags it was worth it! And the new dress code started the Monday he went back so we NEEDED it! lol
    tha-hawt-mommie

Answer by tha-hawt-mommie at 1:27 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Yes, I'd say that $1400 is way way way way over the top. I will spend about a 1/4 of that for BOTH my kids combined. Was it your money or theirs?
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 10:59 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• EEk it is a lil crazy but hey u want ur son to look like a lil kid model then go for it. If u have the extra money for it then y not?
    kirsty_mcgrail

Answer by kirsty_mcgrail at 11:00 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• gramsmom -- definately my money!! LOL , did seem like theirs when i mentioned the recipts! LOL ... but yes its definately mine and his fathers money!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:01 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Yeah, I think you went overboard. I think I spend $300 for the entire yr, including school shopping, Christmas and birthdays, per kid. I know you won't like hearing that, but it's true. He probably won't even wear half of what you bought him. I hope you at least know the dress code for school, otherwise you may find that you boght him some stuff he can't even wear to school. I hope you didn't put yourself in debt spending that money. I'm going to guess he's your first child? :)
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 11:02 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• I would have to agree that that is an extreme amount of money for a kindergartner!!! I'n my whole life I have never spent that much even on myself, let alone my kids! But hey, if you have the money and are not going into debt with it, that's your choice.
    avpriddis

Answer by avpriddis at 11:02 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Yes I say so too. But if you can afford it oh well. They just go through shoes and clothes quick. Growing out of them and ruining them by play.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:02 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• my kids get garage sale clothes and hand-me-downs. kids are going 2 grow out of clothes sooooooooooo fast it's not funny! i shop at walmart and target and kmart for clothes. for 1400 u could have put that on a down payment for a new car! i see it pointless 2 pay THAT much for clothes!
    mominneed_27

Answer by mominneed_27 at 11:03 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• tropicalmama -- the dress code its the usual - nothing revealing and what not. nothing bad printed on the shirts ... etc ... and this is far from putting us in debt. and hes our 2nd child.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:04 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• 11:02 AM on Jul. 20, 2009 by: Anonymous
    ---
    he won't play HARD in these clothes. for the kids who go and play basketball or football at recess , they tell them to dring extra clothes so their good clothes dont get ruined , he'll probably do that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:05 AM on Jul. 20, 2009