how to save space in a new smaller apt

we are moving from a 3 bdrm house to a 2 bdrm apt (army move, moving to germany, no choice on housing) we have a lot o fstuff. and we already got rid of a lot of stuff that we dont use...but the things left that we do use...i just dont know how in the hell were going to fit them into these small ass 2 bdrm apts.
what would you do to save space and keep a small apt organized

moki1984

Asked by moki1984 at 10:56 AM on Jul. 20, 2009 in Home & Garden

• You're going to want furniture that you can store things in--a coffee table with storage inside, a TV stand with storage, and some floor-to-ceiling storage. You should also be a real hard-ass with yourself now about what you really need. You don't want to move stuff that only gets used a couple of times a year, or where you could use something more versatile instead, even if it's a little less convenient.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 11:00 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• we already got rid of some stuff and sent it to charity... what we have left still takes up space lol. some big items. 2 computer desks...we each need our own computer....my sewing machine/area...i need that for my stay at home job. our idning room table is not small. our bedroom set is big.

i dont know what im gonna do with my instruments. i might have to just shove those in the back of my closet. im just hopoing the living room is big enough we can either put the dining room table in the same room. or put the computer desks in the same room
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 11:03 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• I like what the pp said about things that have added storage. I would also look into storing any large furniture and investing in smaller furniture. When we were in our small apt we stored our nice HUGE couch at my parents and bought a small cheap little couch from IKEA. It definately saved us the space. Also if you can hang things on the wall, we put shelving up above our bed, and above the washer and dryer. Any unused wall space I would add some shelving to put things up on.
    avpriddis

Answer by avpriddis at 11:06 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• we have to put the washer an ddryer into storage. thats gonna suck hah. i hate laundry rooms lol. our furniture isnt huge..just the bedroom furniture, thats the big stuff . our living room couch is a futon couch that we got cause the animal ruined the big couch..i guess he was doing us a favor haha.

i would like to downsize the computer desks...that would help a lot.........but my husband is stubborn as shit and doesnt want something that looks cheap. i told him all we need i sworkspace on it since we both do online college and thats enough...
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 11:09 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• OH same thing with the kitchen table! We bought a smaller table, with just enough room to fit us all around, and then stored our nice big table.
    avpriddis

Answer by avpriddis at 11:19 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• I'd store the dining table and buy something smaller to replace it after we moved. I'd also (longer-term) consider replacing desktop computers with laptops, so maybe one desk could be shared by two people.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 11:57 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• I used my dining room table as my computer desk and had a kitchen table to eat on. It's amazing what furniture you can use to perform double duty. I used the dining room table as storage too. I just put everything I could under it and put a table cloth over it. I have an apt that has only one closet. So have almost no storage. I store photo albums and important family history papers in milk crates, stack them and put a fake table top on and cover it with a table cloth. I saw that done using a new garbage can too. They stored sweaters in the garbage can and put a fake table top (Walmart $2.88) on it and table cloth. You can also buy furniture "blocks" and lift your furniture up to store things under the bed or under the couch.

Answer by admckenzie at 1:19 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• i need to get some of those storage solutions that slide under beds. we have ample room under our bed so i need to use it for sure.
    when we move their we have a fewm onths before our household goods are shipped. i want to use that time to buy bookshelfs...shelves for teh walls etc.

what i find cute about this apt is we may not have a lot of room. but the damn bathroom is big , even has dual sinks lol. im liike pfft i would prefer a bigger living room lol. sure a big bathroom is nice but it just seems unnecessary
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 1:48 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• getting laptops...cute idea but we are comp nerds and we custom build our computers....laptops dont pack enough punch for us lol. our towers are powerhouses of computers
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 2:00 PM on Jul. 20, 2009