How to get my toddler to sleep in his bed all night?

My son will be 2 in the 2nd of Aug. he falls asleep in his bed just fine and then when 1, 2, 3, 4 in the morning rolls around he is walking into our room and climbs up in our bed and will sleep until 10 in the morning, what can i do to keep him in his own bed, we are trying to have another baby and we really don't want him in our bed at all hours of the night especially when a new baby comes along.....any advice?

RCPerry511

Asked by RCPerry511 at 11:06 AM on Jul. 20, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• put his bed in your room
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 11:08 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• How does he get into your room? dont u close his door? or can he open it, my 22 month stays in her room with the door closed, she can open it but we have a childproof thing on it. Cut out nap time during the day, or if u cant give him only a 30 min nap earlier in the day
    kirsty_mcgrail

Answer by kirsty_mcgrail at 11:10 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• He walks into my room, no we don't close his door because when he wakes up he will just bang on it so then i would have to get up anyway, if i cut out nap time he is mean i could give him a 30 min nap and see how that works
    RCPerry511

Answer by RCPerry511 at 11:19 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Let him bang, he will have to get used to u not going in and getting him. I know it is hard but imagine how hard it will be for u when u have the new born. I was hard for me I cannot stand the cry of my daughter, but I did it and it took less than a week.
    kirsty_mcgrail

Answer by kirsty_mcgrail at 11:34 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• let him bang on the door.. If you keep getting up you are just showing him that you will get up and pay attention to him.. He will tire out and go to sleep eventually..
    If you don't want to close the door, then every time he crawls into your bed, get up and put him back.. It will mean a couple sleepless nights for you but allowing him to stay in your bed is just teaching him that it's ok to continue that behavior..
    Mad_Hexer

Answer by Mad_Hexer at 11:44 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• I saw a night light and when the night light turns to the sun than that means it is time to get up. If you can explain to him that way maybe he will stay in his bed. Worth a try. Or even just a regular night light let him know that once that light turns off it is time to get up. I hate shutting doors I never liked it when I was a child I felt to contained maybe a baby gate is in order. Hope this helps, good luck.
    LJSMOM31

Answer by LJSMOM31 at 1:22 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• I would definitely close his door. If he bangs, I'd ignore it and see if he resettles himself. If he doesn't. go put him back into his bed and leave. Keep putting him back in until he goes back to sleep. I would advise against skipping the nap. I wouldn't let him sleep as late in the morning (adjust a bit at a time) so that he goes down for a nap at a reasonable time. If he gets overtired, he won't sleep as well and you may have more problems with him waking up. You might also want to read the No Cry Sleep Solution for Toddlers and Preschoolers by Elizabeth Pantley. She has some great ideas for helping sort out sleep problems without just crying it out (which won't work for everyone). Good luck!
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 1:23 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Ignoring a child is a terrible idea. No one will sleep that way and he'll be very hurt. Think of the pain and jealousy he'll go through when he's locked in a room knowing you're ignoring him for the baby. Just let it be and try the bed in your room. Talk positively about him sleeping alone to get him interested. I think the night light and sun idea is great. Or tell him he can go into your room for a hug and a kiss (w/ you telling him how much you love him and are proud of him) then go back to his big boy bed. This is something that needs to be positively encouraged. Not suddenly forced.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 1:30 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• You dont want 2 kids in your room right?
    kirsty_mcgrail

Answer by kirsty_mcgrail at 1:46 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Well im NOT shutting the door on him i think that is cruel, he has slept in his bed all night for the past two nights without crying, he will wake up alittle whiney but i will go in and tuck him back in and he has gone back to sleep, the first night i laid in his bed with him, then the next morning when he wakes up he wakes up in his own bed and i make a BIG deal about it, thanks for all the advise i guess all i needed to do was just make him go back in his own bed after he got up
    RCPerry511

Answer by RCPerry511 at 12:35 PM on Jul. 23, 2009