How/Why did you choose your child(ren)'s name(s)?

EternalChild86

Asked by EternalChild86 at 11:08 AM on Jul. 20, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Ella after Ella Fitzgerald. My grandma's favorite singer.
    kirsty_mcgrail

Answer by kirsty_mcgrail at 11:11 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Erick and I named our child Lucy Rose. Her first name is taken directly from the Beatles' song, "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds". As for her middle name, we chose it simply because it has a lovely meaning and sounds nice next to her first name. We are now considering naming all future daughters after Beatles songs and flowers.
    EternalChild86

Answer by EternalChild86 at 11:12 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• I tried to use old family names (I do genealogy) for my kid's names. However, we couldn't find one that worked for our first child. They were either way to common for my taste or a little to out there and would have caused them grief . . . lol. So my first child (son) ended up with a name from someone at work who had a baby and named their son that name . . . I didn't work with her any longer and loved the name -- Jake (not Jacob). He did get his Daddy's middle name.

My daughter ended up with my grandfather and great-grandfather's name . . . Riley. And she has her grandmother and aunt's middle name.
    TessLouise

Answer by TessLouise at 11:13 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• my DD's name is Molly Elizabeth & we named her after both her grandma's. my mom's name is Polly & my mil's name is Holly. we are even considering using the name Dolly for any future DD but we arent sure. Elizabeth is my DH's half-sister's name & she practically raised him while his parents were fighting & getting a divorce. he has the greatest respect for her so it only seemed fitting.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:16 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• We wanted a strong, beautiful, unique name with lots of history. So I searched through the indexes of a couple mythology books and looked up the stories of the names I liked. We had a handful of names on the table when she was born, Isis fit her the best.
    And Isis got bonus points because it's also a Dylan song.
    jellyphish

Answer by jellyphish at 11:27 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Our oldest two(Connor and Avery) have first names we loved and family middle names. My oldest has a family name from my side, our middle son has a name from his fathers side.
    Our youngest son has two names we adored and wanted to give to our last child. No family ones this time.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 11:27 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Skieler Suzanne (sky-ler)

Skieler came from a dragon in a book that I was reading when I was pregnant.. The dragon's name was Skie..
    Suzanne is my sister's name..
    Mad_Hexer

Answer by Mad_Hexer at 11:34 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Anisa is mils name, i loved it the first time i heard it. And Ismail after dh, its tradition that the kids have their fathers and up to the great great grand fathers names as the middle names, so really she has 5 middle names!
    isra1986

Answer by isra1986 at 11:45 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• It is tradition in my husband's family that the first son takes the father's first name as his middle name. Until us there was only one boy in each family. We had three. So My first child got his daddy's name as his middle name, my second got his daddy's middle name as his middle name( or his grandfather's first name) and my third got a middle name after my Grandfather's middle name which is where my middle name came from too. So I guess he was also named after me. Their firsts names were just ones that we loved.
    tams920

Answer by tams920 at 12:21 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Cora Michelle
    Ayah Ahmed

Cora is after my grandmother who passed away from breast cancer in 98. Michelle is a name i chose bc i didnt like other middle names that went with "Cora". Coras middle name was supposed to be Ahmed (after my husband) like isra1986 said (who happens to be one of my bf's) but we werent together when she was born. then we got back together and we had another baby so her name is Ayah , which means sign of God or Verse from the Quran.... and Ahmed is her middle name after her father. ;)
    Familyof3

Answer by Familyof3 at 1:00 PM on Jul. 20, 2009