Does anyone know how to make velcro stick again?

My daughter has a great pair of shoes with velcro straps and now one of the straps won't stick. Does anyone know how to make this stick again? I don't want to have to get rid of the shoes, they are still in good condition.

sharon2

Asked by sharon2 at 11:18 AM on Jul. 20, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• If you take another piece of rough Velcro and rub it against the rough Velcro part that has stuff in it, some will come out. The other way I've tried is with an old comb. Just dig it out between the rows of Velcro stuff if that makes sense. Good luck. I hate it when that happens! I quit buying Velcro-strap shoes because of this.
    sparrowprincess

Answer by sparrowprincess at 11:29 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• I cant stand velcro b/c of this reason after having to re sew up a pair of my DD's brand new shoes b/c te velcro didnt stick I've stopped buying it altogether. Sorry just vented a little about my velcro pet peeve lol
    Cleaning it out is basically all u can do. As the PP said take an old comb to get inside the rows. For the shoes that I got my DD w/ the velcro they had a buckle on them as decoration so I just took the buckle off & sewed it onto the shoe so now I can just buckle them instead I just left the velcro on too. Wasnt about to try & peel that off too! But if u really like the shoes enough then pick up a small buckle & do the same thing. Good Luck!
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 11:41 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Is it filled with crud, or are the plastic pieces inside not bent right anymore? You have to figure that all out. I own cloth diapers with velcro. I have had to re-bend the plastic hooks in the velcro to catch the cloth side again... sometimes you also have to replace the cloth side since it's been torn to shreds by the velcro hooks.

Good luck!
    Kenre

Answer by Kenre at 1:35 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Found on internet
    Locate the rough, nylon side of the Velcro. Use the toothbrush to brush through this side several times to try to clear out debris. Test the Velcro to see if it will hold. If the toothbrush did not work to clean out enough debris, proceed to Step 2.
    2
    Clear out more fuzzy debris from the nylon side of the Velcro using the safety pin. Clear all of the visible debris and test the Velcro once again.
    3
    Light a match. Holding the lit match in one hand and the fuzzy side of the Velcro in the other, slowly bring the match about one inch away from the fuzzy Velcro strip. Carefully move the two closer until you can see the fuzzy side curling back on itself away from the heat. Move the match away after you see the fibers curl. Try the Velcro to see if this worked.

4
    Carefully trim the fuzzy side of the Velcro with the scissors. Only take the top portion off and be careful to make it as level as possible. Try the Velc
    Eses

Answer by Eses at 9:03 PM on Oct. 18, 2009