Should they sign this and if they won't?

This is a simple thing, the right thing. Why would they think it's ok to say NO I won't?
I can't wait to see the names of all the ones who refuse to sign splashed all over the news.

http://www.letfreedomringusa.com/pledge-to-read

itsmesteph11

Asked by itsmesteph11 at 11:35 AM on Jul. 20, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Why is it all of the sudden really important for congress to read bills? Each congressman and woman has a staff that is there SPECIFICALLY to read through bills and give them a rundown of what's in the bill. This is how it's been for a very long time. I do not have a problem with this at all, congressmen and women have more important things than to read bills, hence why they hire people to do it for them (creating jobs). Why is it after all these years, NOW people are getting their panties in a wad over them not reading bills?! Seriously, maybe if you had been complaining about 4 years ago I would say that you legitimately care, but if this is now becoming your thing then WHY have you waited so many years to actually give a crap? Seems a bit shallow to me to just suddenly care now... and seems silly to require them to read a bill when they don't need to.
    Jafra_mommy

Answer by Jafra_mommy at 11:54 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• congressmen and women have more important things than to read bills,

They do?? I thought THAT was part of their job BEFORE they cast their VOTE on SAID bill.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 11:55 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Jafra honestly? Who care's why some who were never involved before are waking up and getting involved......as long as they do that is all that matter's to me.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 11:58 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Carpy, it hasn't been part of their job for years. As I said before, reading bills is why they have a staff. And tnmomofive, I'm referencing the people who've been involved for years, and now all of the sudden have a problem with them not reading bills... people who've been politically active for a few years and now, all of the sudden, they want them to read a bill. It's a double standard. When congress is doing something you like, you don't care. BUT the second they start doing something you don't like all of the sudden it's a problem.
    Jafra_mommy

Answer by Jafra_mommy at 12:03 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Sadly, on Cap and Trade many Democrats and Republicans were not even given the updates to the bill to have aides read. They were railroaded into a vote by less than ethical Congressmen. Healthcare will have last minute additions and I am sure the Dems in charge will make sure those additions are not available for all to read. Transparency was promised yet we have not had any yet. Bush was not great but the Republicans did not rush votes like this frantic Democrat majority is. What do they have to hide?
    Anonymous

• When you run on transparency and making sure every bill will be read line by line people get mad when that does not happen. Obama promised change instead his party is rushing things to the point no one is reading anything including aides. It is utter insanity what is going on. Sad thing is what is happening will hurt the little guy that did vote for Obama it will be way too late for them when they do finally put the kool aid down and realize what just happened.

Anonymous

• Maybe it has something to do with American's starting to demand these thing's Jafra? I mean no doubt there have been alot of American's who have not even paid much attention.Alot have just casted their vote and then that was that.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 12:16 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• That too 12:14...Obama did promise that "transparency" and he was not even trying to deliver on that.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 12:18 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Carpy, it hasn't been part of their job for years

It IS part of their job. Just because they may not do it. The aids have not even been given time to read them now because The dems want to slam it down our throats before we know whats in them because they know people will oppose them.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 12:20 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• I agree that all bills should be read, as long as EVERYONE knows upfront that no matter what the bill says, it makes no difference because they intend to endorse it, some depending on how the political winds are blowing that day.

No matter how conscience- jolting so much of it probably is, they don't give a crap!
    mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 4:45 PM on Jul. 20, 2009