Manditory health and Nutrition classes for overweight children?

Do you think that it would be beneficial to require overweight children to take a mandatory foods and nutrition class at school/ and take an extra PE class? I think it would be a great idea because I meet more and more children who are depresses, have low self esteem because there parents failed to feed them properly or teach them to eat properly and its just not fair to the child. A child should not have to live there life being unhealthy, and unhappy just because there parents neglected to teach then to eat healthy, and exercise.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:55 AM on Jul. 20, 2009 in General Parenting

• There should be nothing MANDATORY. This is a free country and we should be able to choose.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:56 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• mandatory only if the health of the child is at risk
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:57 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• I don't think its a bad idea, I worked with girls and I know that effect that poor body image can have on them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:58 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• IF they are overweight, they are at risk!
    misssy2000

Answer by misssy2000 at 11:59 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• It's the parents who really need the classes.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:59 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

Some kids are over the average growth chart but it's not because they are at risk. Some kids are big because of their genes which is normal but for the government growth chart they are not. We have to be very careful before generalizing.
    Anonymous

• I think it would be a great idea, but I was just wondering how it would be possible. I could just see the other kids making fun of the fat kids class, so that's the main thing that bothers me. I would also add a class for the parents, though its not the children fault and if the parents are not buying the right foods, then how is the child going to eat right even with the new information.
    misssy2000

Answer by misssy2000 at 12:03 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Some kids are oversized due to genetics. I think the big problem is people who don't mind thier own business. My kids have been lucky, they are not overweight. BUT they come from a family of people who are obese. I know my kids have risk factors. They learn good eating habits at home.
    Why can't we simply include good eating habits in health class, offer cooking classes, and offer electives of great PE classes?
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 12:06 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• The parents control what the kids eat. If they put doritos on the dinner table, it's not fair to expect a young child to turn them down.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 12:12 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• I think being overweight due to genetics is a myth, that's what people tell themselves to justify eating horribly.
    Anonymous