My poor baby has asthma! Mothers who know, got any mom knowledge you can pass along...

He will be 6 next week and the Dr's suspected it but it was never serious, until last night. He had a severe attack.

His seems to be triggered by sickness....even the mildest cough turns into the worst sickness for him ;(

He had to have two breathing treatments and she considered admitting us to the hospital, but we live about 6 or 7 blocks from the hospital so she sent us home with instructions to return if I am worried at all.

We now have a prescription for steroids, inhaler and a spacer...(that was expensive, but I got it anyways b/c I want him to get his medicine the best he can)

Any tips experienced moms....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:02 PM on Jul. 20, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Keep the house dust free. If your child gets a cold, treat it right away. Let him be a kid. don't limit him because he has asthma. Asthma runs in my family and my cousin that has it, played baseball and swam. I have asthma and played soccer and softball. My son has it and he plays baseball. You just have to know what triggers the attacks. When he does have an attack, STAY CALM, if you act upset so will he and that will make the attack worse. Use a vaporizer when he sleeps. Use the inhaler only as needed.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 6:07 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• It's not the end of the world...just feels like it sometimes.

During cold season, keep him on his every day meds. Our pediatrician has us giving our two youngest (2 and 3) pulmicort twice a day...when they go for two weeks with no coughing, we can drop it to once a day. When they THEN go for two weeks with no coughing, we can stop it. My three year old is now suspect for environmental allergies and so during allergy season he stays on it at least once a day. (it takes 24 hours to get into their system)

The meds might affect how he acts. Keep this in mind. He's older, so you should be able to point out to him that he needs to watch his attitude...my 2 and 3 year old get violent when we start it up again. (this is one reason we've considered keeping them on at least one dose all year long! lol)

Seek out asthma clinics to better educate your self and him. (check with your insurance company!) Know that he'll be ok.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:47 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Please don't panic. I know because my daughter was the same age and had a major attack that landed us in the hospital for 4 days. She is now 11 and still has asthma but takes meds (which I would like her off of all together) everyday. If she does not have the meds there are days she runs a fever and can't breathe. But it will be ok. I know it is very hard news to get but keep the house dusted every day. Vacuum everyday. Keep everything clean and it should help with the asthma. DO NOT SMOKE OR LET ANYONE SMOKE AROUND HIM.
    vidamc2

Answer by vidamc2 at 11:40 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• You said your "baby" has asthma so is he 6 or is he 6 months? My son was diagnosed with asthma at 5 months and has MANY other respitory complications diagnosed since then. I dont know how much of Jaydin's problems are his asthma or his other complications.

At 6 years old, your child would probably (according to my son's pulm.) benefit bettter from a direct inhaler than a spacer. He is old enough to breathe in at the moment that you squirt the inhaler. What type of inhaler is it? Is it preventative or fast acting? If your doc didnt put him on a preventative then he is most likely not so worried.

I do not have asthma however every time I get a cough, it goes in to my chest and I always need steriods and an inhaler, hopefully this turns out to be the case for your son. Since he is (I am assuming) 6 and just now getting diagnosed, that is a good thing.

continued...
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 6:40 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• ...

my main advice would be to get him in to a pulminologist for a pulminary function exam. That will show you if he truely has asthma or not. It could save you alot of heartache if he doesnt have it. Its a non invasive procedure that is done with him wide awake
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 6:41 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• my 3 year old has had asthma since he was 6months old-and bad allergies since 3months...The dr. put him on a nebulizer and he takes pulmicort (which is a steriod to help keep the airways open and lessen the swelling). and then in between the pulmicort treatments he has albuterol which can be taken every 4 hours as needed when hes having breathing problems. Theres been a few times we've ended up in the ER because his attacks have been so bad that the nebulizer just didnt cut it and they gave him shots :( when an attack comes on cool air helps (standing with his face in the freezer-or out in the cool night air),sometimes running a HOT shower and letting him breath in the steam-STAYING CALM is a big help too no matter how old a child is they know when the parent isn't calm! Our dr. also put my son on singular which is to help with allergies that can trigger attacks.Cigarette smoke,and Dust are no-no's too! Good Luck!!
    dakotasmommy06

Answer by dakotasmommy06 at 12:28 PM on Aug. 5, 2009