Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does child support go after your SO if you live together?

My case worker made me give her my SO's information for child support but I don't understand why...we live together. I haven't gotten anything in the mail from CS and my son is now 10 why is she sending them stuff now? we have always lived together way before I even got pregnant.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 12:24 PM on Jul. 20, 2009 in Just for Fun

Answers (12)
  • do you get public assistance? They may go after him for childsupport if you are getting assistance.

    Answer by ria7 at 12:28 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

  • I think you can cancel it somehow.

    Answer by MommyLee08 at 12:32 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

  • Oh, and even if they do, it just ends up coming back to you anyway so it's not like he's really losing any money.

    Answer by MommyLee08 at 12:33 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

  • I receive public assistance, and they went after my husband for child support, but only because he was no longer living with us and I was reapplying without him being listed on our case.

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:34 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

  • If you are receiving cash assist, they ask for your SO's info if you're not married so they can go after him for child support. I believe if he writes a letter saying he supports the child on his own, they won't go after him but I could be wrong. They will also have to take his income into consideration.

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:37 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

  • If you've been receiving public assistance - they will go after the baby's dad for repayment. In our state (Texas) the state views it this way: If the father of the child were providing support the way he should be - then they wouldn't have to be doing it for him. Thankfully, this is one of the checks & balances in place that actually works. If he is providing support then he should have applied for assistance with you. The fact that they are asking for his information tells me that you applied alone as a single parent - and if SO is living with you (and is the father of the child) then you're not exactly single are you. I'd say go to your worker and come clean - reapply properly otherwise face the consequences- BTW it's not the state welfare office that goes after him - it's the Attorney General's Office (same people who enforce child support).

    Answer by PaceMyself at 12:41 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

  • PaceMyself: I'm not OP but just wanted to say, even if OP's SO is supporting the child, she could still qualify. I applied and included my SO and our income and we still were eligible. So it's not fair to assume OP is lying to get assistance. I don't know if she is but I'm just playing the Devil's advocate here!

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:47 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

  • If you get PA is doenst matter if you live together or not, they will come after SO for support, PA includes WIC-thou most don't consider that to be PA.
    In my state (wisconsn) They will come after SO for half the birth if your on state insurance and not married.
    My friend was in this same situation, her SO did not have a job, and she did and she worked to support her bum man and her children, The state went after him for YEARS for child support, even was arrested a number of times for not paying- Eventually they had to go to court, he had to have a blood DNA test proving it was infact his child, and they lived together and she supported him-

    Answer by JnCV at 12:54 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

  • Did you not report his income on your application?

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:50 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

  • Pace is right it sounds like you didn't report him when you applied so that's why they're asking for his info

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:53 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.