How old should your baby be when you teach to swim?

I am looking for lots of information please help.

QuintinsMom520

Asked by QuintinsMom520 at 12:37 PM on Jul. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i put my 7 month old in the pool yesterday!! he didnt really do much..but he swam in his little floaty for a few hours..start them out in the pool young and keep up with it, so theyre not afraid of water, youll end up with a 5 year old that can swim like a pro!!!!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 12:39 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• My baby and I have been swimming since she was only a couple of weeks. Now she is 22 months and she doesnt let me help her she wants to swim on her own.
    kirsty_mcgrail

Answer by kirsty_mcgrail at 12:41 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• The earlier you get your child in the water, the better. I work at the YMCA and the key to getting your kids to swim early is making sure they are comfortable in the water. That is usually the biggest obstacle to overcome before the teaching can start. Try and find out if you have any mommy and me swimming classes around you where you can just take baby in the water. At usually 3 years you can start actual swimming lessons.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 12:42 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Really, any age over 6 months. My 3 yo swims like a fish. Be sure to teach SAFTEY.. and never get too "comfortable" with your childs swimming skills. Even the best swimmers need supervision.
    say_tay

Answer by say_tay at 12:46 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• We just went swimming for the first time with my son. He is 15 months old. He loved the water. I asked the doctor last year and she said just remember sun screen but we didn't get a chance to go last summer.
    Anonymous

• they just opend a community pool by my house and they told me my 4 month old can start swimming lessons when he is 6 months. but he loves the water. i have a small pool at my house and he loves being in it.
    adoradamia

Answer by adoradamia at 1:19 PM on Jul. 20, 2009