How do you know which part of the Old Testament Law is which?

I've heard of Ceremonial, Judicial and Moral....how do you know which verses and laws fit under which category?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:53 PM on Jul. 20, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• God spoke the Ten Commandments with His own voice,He wrote it with His own finger, He wrote in stone. The two great commandments of loving the Lord and loving your neighbor are found first in the Old Testament. They are a summary of the Ten Commandments.The first four Commandments are about loving God.The last six are about our relationship with our fellow man. Underneath those Ten Commandments, there are a whole spectrum of civil laws, and even some of the health laws have to do with ‘Thou shalt now kill,’ and that would include yourself.
    So, most of the moral law falls under the Ten Commandments, whereas the ceremonial laws were shadows. It says in Colossians chapter 2, ‘certain laws that were shadows.’ For instance, Passover, when they kill the lamb, that lamb and that whole ceremony and that feast was a shadow of when Jesus, the Lamb of God, would come to be our Perfect Sacrifice.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 5:29 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• I love lexylex. She' s not only loving and kind, she's beautiful and intelligent and generous and knowledgeable. She rocks, folks!good

Answer by admckenzie at 6:20 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• I agree admckenzie she said it on this answer great job sister
    hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 6:44 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• i think leviticus was laws, exodus was ceremonial with the tabernacle
    lawla

Answer by lawla at 8:57 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• THe ten commandments were abolished when Jesus started preaching. He made one commandment if I am not mistaken if I am please feel free to correct me.
    Ibelongtojesus

Answer by Ibelongtojesus at 7:04 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• He didn't abolish the Ten Commandments. If He had, we'd be free sin without any consequences. Paul says in Romans 7:7---"What shall we say then? Is the law sin? Certainly not! On the contrary, I would not have known sin except through the law. For I would not have known covetousness unless the law had said, “You shall not covet.”

Which law says, "You shall not covet?" The Ten Commandments.

"For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all. For he that said, Do not commit adultery, said also, Do not kill. Now if thou commit no adultery, yet if thou kill, thou art become a transgressor of the law. So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty." (James 2:10-12)

When did God give this law James speaks of? Back in Exodus 20. It begins, "God spake all these words saying...." It's the Ten Commandments.

Cont...

Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 7:21 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• The "new" commandments Jesus gave aren't really "new". They are found in the Old Testament as well---Deuteronomy 6:5 and Leviticus 19:18. These are a summary of the Ten Commandment law:

Romans 13:9---For the commandments, “You shall not commit adultery,” “You shall not murder,” “You shall not steal,” “You shall not bear false witness,” “You shall not covet,” and if there is any other commandment, are all summed up in this saying, namely, “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.”

Our love for God is expressed in the first four commandments--Don't have any other gods, Don't worship graven images, don't take God's name in vain, Remember the Sabbath Day and keep it holy.
    Our love for our fellow man are expressed in the final six. Five are listed above, the one that's missing is "Honor your father and mother".
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 7:34 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• OK I though they werew all done with once Jesus made the one commandment of loving God because when you love God eerything else falls inot place. Soryy if I was wrong. I have been reading too much Revelations.  Wish they made a loony sweet pea cause that is what I feel like.

Ibelongtojesus

Answer by Ibelongtojesus at 1:56 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• The 10 commandments was given to show that we CAN"T keep them. To be the mirror for us to know we cannot save ourselves......Christ paid the debt we owed by our sins.
    momof2wneeds

Answer by momof2wneeds at 6:54 PM on Jul. 22, 2009